Forums Latest Members
  1. snunez Jan 20, 2019

Gents,

I have just had my first solo vintage purchase Seamaster (166.010-67) returned from servicing (after nine months!) and it failed the water resistance test. There are a few threads about the topic, and the most informative post describes some of the reasons why it is difficult to achieve water resistance, especially in older watches.

What it not clear to me is how delicate a freshly serviced watch that has failed a pressure test is. I know, 'it depends', but to the extent one can generalise, how careful do we have to be with these? I was advised that I should not get water on it when washing the hands. If it is that delicate, it makes wearing a vintage piece a bit less desirable; having to remove it 4-5 times a day and worry about where you put in in the office washroom would be a bit annoying.

Then there is the rain. In the linked thread, one poster is from Indonesia where they experience frequent, sudden downpours. I am in a similar situation.

I guess the real question is: I know submersion is not recommended; are the stray drops from rain or a basin tap going to cause any issues?

Edited Jan 20, 2019
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 20, 2019

Most likely not. Just don’t dunk it in water.
    gatorcpa

airansun and Foo2rama like this.
  3. redpcar Jan 20, 2019

Do you have details on how it failed? What were the parameters? 300m? 100m? 50m? What was done with the service? Crystal, gaskets, crown replaced? Did you send it to a reputable shop?

4. Dan S Jan 20, 2019

In general I don’t wear vintage watches in the rain if I can avoid it. Fortunately it doesn’t rain very much where I live.

chronoboy64 and Foo2rama like this.
  5. snunez Jan 20, 2019

It was a reputable shop. Service was IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary). For this watch it was gaskets, mainspring. I do not think the crown was replaced, but it was supposed to have been "all" gaskets. As it was explained to me, pitting of the metal near the case gasket was the reason for the failure. I am not sure, but I think it was a 30m test. I will ask when they next open.

6. warrydog Jan 20, 2019

I probably have about a half dozen watches that are not waterproof at all and will fog a crystal just from perspiration, so I'm resigned to wear them only in the winter, and to be careful when hand washing. I guess my point is; what works for me, If I'm working or there is any chance of getting wet, dirty, etc... I wear my Seikos.. I only wear the good stuff, or the non-waterproof watches for dress occasions.
    Another way to look at this is to keep buying more watches until you find one or more that don't leak. : )
    Best wishes, Tom

Stas likes this.
  7. Tubber Jan 20, 2019

@snunez I live in a climate the same as yours and I don't wear vintage watches in the rainy season. Seikos, a Submariner or a 3570.50 Speedy.

8. snunez Jan 21, 2019

@Tubber, I guess you would know. If you are in town again any time soon, let's try to catch up. I'll be leaving for the USA soon, and will not be back.

I guess @warrydog has the right idea. I thought about looking for a vintage that passed the waterproof test, but the chances of finding one would be very small (first it has to be able pass the test, and the owner has to have it tested and it has to be advertised/for-sale).

I have been wearing it in some hot and humid conditions with no fogging. From what I understand here, there are various degrees of water resistance, from 'fog when you put it on' to 'just fine 100m underwater', and the trick it to find where this one stands and wear accordingly. Is the consensus that a few drops are OK, but 'don't dunk it' as gator said?

Edited Jan 21, 2019
  9. Chewbakkka Jan 21, 2019

You can check where your case is leaking by performing a hydrotest of the case (without the movement inside). Then it's up to you if you want to change for example crystal or crown to get it waterproof. If your watch is not a diver, it will be splatterproof but not enough to drown your watch.

10. snunez Jan 21, 2019

Good point. I should have asked that question. I'm going to do that if any of the other three I have in for service fail the test. It might be he did not take note of the location.

11. snunez Jan 21, 2019

Oh, a question for the watchmakers: what percentage of 1960's Seamasters you encounter do pass the test? Is finding a vintage that passes, say the 50m test, going to be a needle in a haystack search?

12. Kristian N Jan 21, 2019

I wear an old beautiful Seiko Automatic diver for everyday use or on the yacht. Must say that I am really impressed with this watch since I still do some occasional diving without any problems.
    Regarding the Vintage Omegas, I guess they are just too expensive and I would get very upset about getting any water close to them. Perhaps it is all about not really wearing them in the sense of using but more preserving for future owners.
    The time on the wrist is a special occasion.
    I do not really know what old classic Omega I would wear every day without being afraid of ruining it.
    We all have different feelings and approaches and that is a blessing in itself. Whatever your approach is I guess it is right as long as you feel good about it!

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2019

Without knowing what type of test was done, it’s hard to give specific answers. For example the dry testing machine I use has dual tests for vacuum and pressure, so if it passes the vacuum test but fails the pressure test, I’ll feel better about the level of water resistance than I would if it failed the vacuum and pressure tests.

Sometimes the machine will tell me that the leak is significant, so I know it’s not just a small problem, and I can advise the customer accordingly regarding how dry they need to keep the watch. Until you have some details from the watchmaker, I would assume the least amount of water resistance, and keep it 100% dry.

With regards to the crown, on most replacement of the gasket really isn’t possible. The gasket is installed as the crown is being manufactured and a washer is crimped in place over the gasket to keep it in place in the crown, and often this makes replacement impossible. Since many collectors want to keep the vintage crowns on their watches, they have to live with a lack of water resistance, as the only alternative is a new (and likely different looking) crown.

Just realize at this stage if the watch gets wet and damaged from water getting in, it would not be a warranty item with the watchmaker.

Cheers, Al

Dr_P, Dan S and KstateSkier like this.
  14. snunez Jan 22, 2019

Ah, right. I was afraid of that, but at least now I can make an informed decision. I think in some locations, say the American west or Australia, this would not matter; in other places water resistance is more important. 100% dry is just in not an option in some climates.

15. Adam2941 Jan 24, 2019

I always assume my vintage watches are not waterproof. Don't worry about it and don't go swimming with it. Washing your hands and rain won't hurt it. Just be careful. If you want a tough, durable watch, buy a new one. They are much better by every functional measure.

Stas likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 24, 2019

Not all of Australia.
    Live in tropical Northern Australia and have more issues with leather in the wet season than waterproofing.

Have a few watches and tend to stick to the excellent condition for this exact reason. Pitting of the case would be a no for me. Worn a lot of vintage watches in the wet season but would pick according.
    Being cyclone season as well most vulnerable watches are packed in a Pelican case (orange one @JimInOz ;) )

I have washed my hands many of times with vintage watches that are not waterproof and never had a issue.

There seems to be a mythological way of washing hands that I am not aware of.

I have always followed the Sign
    57922E1A-2B57-4A1C-A79B-4549582EF7B4.jpeg

17. Adam2941 Jan 24, 2019

Interesting. I do not live in a high-humidity area, so I have not experienced that, though I do have a Polerouter that I bought from someone in India that has a lot of "patina", or moisture damage to the dial.

18. Canuck Jan 24, 2019

Rain won’t hurt your watch? On a hot muggy day, if you are unfortunate enough to be caught in a rain storm, your watch could well suddenly cool off sufficiently that air and moisture can be sucked into the case as the entrapped air inside the watch cools and contracts. Watches that aren’t sealed are at risk from water from any source, but particularly water that is much colder than the watch.

19. Adam2941 Jan 24, 2019

You know, I guess I am so careful with my watches that on hot muggy days, which don't happen too often around here (Seattle), but when I am travelling, I do not wear my vintage watches. I did once get condensation inside my crystal, and had to take a trip to the watchmaker. So I need to clarify my earlier comments.