Forums Latest Members

Seamaster Diver 300m Co-Axial Chrono OR Speedmaster Broad Arrow Co-Axial?

1. tndunganh Sep 24, 2014

Hi Everyone,

It's an important period of time for me because I'm getting my first ever watch soon haha. After a lot of research, I have narrowed my choices into these 2 watches because I think they would suit me pretty well. They are the Seamaster Diver 300m Co-Axial Chronograph (212.30.44.50.01.001) and the Speedmaster Broad Arrow Co-Axial (321.13.44.50.01.001). I'm a sporty guy and I like big watches so both of watches are 44m. I went to an AD last week to try the Seamaster on and it looked pretty good on me. However, I feel that it's a little too thick and wouldn't be versatile especially during formal occasions. I couldn't find the Speedmaster in the AD but I looked at photos and videos online and the watch is absolutely gorgeous for my taste. Also, I could only find the Speedmaster with a leather strap. Here are some photos of the Seamaster on my wrist, please disregard the Tag on my right hand. Also, I'm wearing the GMT version so the one I want to buy doesn't have the red numbers on the dial.

Which one would you choose guys??

Seamaster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[img=http://s27.postimg.org/mxtbdm31r/photo_5.jpg]

Speedmaster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video:
    [YOUTUBE]lwMT-k93eMQ[/YOUTUBE]

2. tndunganh Sep 24, 2014

Here's the youtube video for the Speedmaster!

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

I'd go the non-GMT version of the Seamaster, (the GMT honestly is too busy and messy, the non-GMT that you're going for is really sharp). Its a solid movement, a very tough case, and suitable for all weather. The Speedmaster is a Cal 3313 which is not a bad movement or anything but I'd rather then 3330 in the Seamaster.

The Seamaster also has a nice party trick in that its pushers are waterproof even when being used to full diving depth, the vast majority of chronographs including the Speedmaster are not, and if you use the pushers underwater even while swimming you can cause water ingress, the Seamaster Chronographs since 1993 have been designed to withstand that.

tndunganh likes this.
  4. tndunganh Sep 25, 2014

Thank you so much for your comment!

If you take into consideration versatility and look, would you still choose the Seamaster? Do you think that the case is too thick to wear at more formal occasions? I'm actually leaning more towards the Seamaster now after your comment! :)

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

It is thick that's for sure, but having worn the previous generation Calibre 1164 for a long time, you get used to it fairly quickly.

tndunganh likes this.
  6. tndunganh Sep 25, 2014

Bumppppp!! I need more opinions guys :(

7. yuk0nxl1 Sep 25, 2014

I would go with the Seamaster just because of the movement. The 3313 in the BA has not had the best reputation. While the 3330 has not been around to fully prove itself, it's off to a great start. I have that movement in my Speedmaster Racing and I'm running at +0.6 s/d.

I see the Broad Arrow getting a redesign in the next year or so.