Forums Latest Members

Seamaster dial value and spare link identification...A little help?

1. TLIGuy Aug 23, 2013

I recently received a bag of parts as part of a purchase I made a few weeks ago and I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Included was an old Seamaster dial that appears to be in okay condition minus some of the minute markers missing. I know "is it worth anything?" is and open question and obviously it may have value to someone. My question is if I wanted to offer it for sale what would a fair price be? If it's $3 so be it, but I would hate to ask for something stupid if you understand what I'm getting at. Is the best course to run it on the bay and see what, if anything, it brings?

As always your help and opinions are appreciated.

RSCN3566.JPG

RSCN3567.JPG

Lastly, and anyone identify these extra links? The are new and unused and the spring tension is very tight. I believe they are from a 1039 bracelet but just wanted to verify it before I sell them off as well.

RSCN3568.JPG

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 23, 2013

The dial has been re-finished at some stage - destroy it.

3. TLIGuy Aug 23, 2013

Interesting. Refinished you think? Ok I guess I'll yield to the experts but the seller says that he received the dial back from Omega when he sent the watch in for service and the dial was replaced many years ago.

I guess it goes to a free hone if anyone is looking to play around with it.

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 23, 2013

Redial2.jpg Redial1.jpg To demonstrate the point, guess which one of these has been re-finished:

Redial 4.jpg
  5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 23, 2013

I think the dial is original - just been cleaned at some point resulting in the disappearance of some of the dial printing.

6. Dablitzer Aug 23, 2013

I think it might be original too.. Those particular dials housed 5xx series sometimes from a 14701 case didn't weather too well. They had a weird finish..

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 23, 2013

The 12:00 and 7:00 markers have clearly been removed and re-fitted at some stage. The rest of the hour markers have a strange finish to them. In my experience, there should not be any variance in finish on the back of the dial.

8. TLIGuy Aug 23, 2013

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate the information. I just exchanged and email with the original owner and he does not recall how long ago he sent the watch off to Omega for service but it was many years ago. He said that the watch, still in his possession, was retuned to him and the parts from the service in a bag including the dial which have been siting in his drawer for longer than he can remember.

So probably not worth selling so like I said if anyone is interested in it for a project let me know and it's free to a good home.

Anyone on the links??