Forums Latest Members
  1. ibisman1956 Dec 19, 2017

Found again!
    Been a rough end of the year for me and my family, with my mom passing away on October 21.
    Being the oldest child, I was assigned as the executor of her trust.
    While going through some of her most personal belongings with my sister, we found my dad's jewelry box she had put away years ago when he passed in 1987. It contained some tie pins, class rings, and a couple of watches. My sister threw the watches in a bag, and we continued. When I got home I was going through the bag lo and behold one of the watches was my dad's Seamaster Deville, that I remember from when I was a kid growing up in the '60s.
    I hadn't seen it since well before he passed away.
    It doesn't have the original leather strap, but does have the black Speidel wrist band, (big in the '60s) that if my memory serves me well from the old commercials won't pull you wrist hair out like the old scissor type. BTW I am looking for an original strap if I can find one.
    So, I've been wearing it for about a week now, loses a minute a day, but considering it hasn't been worn in 30 years, I'll gladly take that. I look at it quite fondly every chance I get.
    One of my most cherished possessions now without a doubt, and I think of him so much when I'm wearing it.
    I feel like he must have the day he put it on his wrist for the first time, like the king of the world!
    Here are a couple of pics I took today. Hope you like them and thanks for adding me to this forum.

IMG_1435.JPG IMG_1439.JPG
  2. justinz Dec 19, 2017

Great find. Enjoy it!

mydeafcat likes this.
  3. Looneytoons Dec 19, 2017

What a great heirloom and tribute to your dad. Wear it well and think of him often!

mydeafcat likes this.
  4. Gordon Heavyfoot Dec 19, 2017

Very nice heirloom indeed! To ensure that it remains in good working order for the next generations you should have it serviced by a competent watchmaker. As you said, it's been 30 years since it's been worn. All those oils inside have dried up and you don't want to risk mechanical problems with such a sentimental piece. Don't let the watchmaker polish it or do anything other than a general service of the movement. Happy holidays.

mydeafcat and McKinley like this.
  5. Damo Dec 20, 2017

Wow, great find. Definitely get it serviced and wear it, outstanding condition.

6. Temprus Dec 20, 2017

Nice dial!

7. ibisman1956 Dec 20, 2017

Thank you I found a certified Omega 1120 repair shop in my area.

8. ConElPueblo Dec 20, 2017

That's a very nice watch to remember your father by :)

Re. Omega straps - if I was you, I'd completely avoid modern Omega straps as they are too thick. The padded design is a good fit on modern, beefier watches, but not so much on the slimmer models of the 60's.
    If you find an original strap, chances are that the leather has become fairly brittle or that it will wear out fast. Add to that the fact that original Omega straps are quite pricy for what they are, I'd look for a non-padded aftermarket strap and perhaps add an Omega buckle to it. You'll want a strap that is 18mm at the wide end and 16mm at the slim end where the buckle sits. Beware of counterfeit buckles - it will look something like this:

[​IMG]

https://omegaforums.net/threads/about-omega-buckles.37347/

Here are som NOS straps (same source as above) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mydeafcat, ibisman1956 and McKinley like this.
  9. ibisman1956 Dec 20, 2017

Thank you.

10. ibisman1956 Dec 20, 2017

Thank you. Sentimental value is priceless.

11. ibisman1956 Dec 20, 2017

Yeah, it’s in super condition.

12. ibisman1956 Dec 20, 2017

Thank you.