Forums Latest Members
  1. Absent01 Aug 24, 2014

Hi there, first time poster here, looking for some information about a Seamaster DeVille that I own.

I only wear it occasionally, and until now it has always functioned just fine, starting up again usually just from the movement of picking it up.

It has now stopped completely and I'm not entirely sure why, as it hasn't taken any damage or mishandling.

My dad suggested that it might just need manually winding but I have never had to do this before. Upon trying anyway I have found that the wheel will only spin in one direction. I'm not sure if this is normal or part of the problem.

On an unrelated side note, as I was browsing the forums for info I came across a post mentioning that guy from mad men? If someone could clarify what thats all about it would be appreciated.

About the watch, its a '67 Seamaster DeVille with steel band, steel case, black face with date, and gold hands and markers. My grandfather left it to me in his will. It is engraved with his initials. I have replaced the band with a black leather one for the time being as the original band is missing a link.

Thanks in advance for your help

Attached are pictures

20140824_093734.jpg

20140824_095823.jpg

20140824_093719.jpg

2. ChrisN Aug 24, 2014

Hi

What a nice momento of your grandfather and with the original details. Unfortunately, the time has come for a service which these watches need every five years or so. The winder should go clockwise to wind and should free run anticlockwise. If you are in UK, then Christian at watchguy.co.uk is well versed in these and service prices are on his website. You may have to wait a while!

Don't try and wind it if it doesn't want to be wound as you could cause some damage.

Cheers, Chris.

3. Absent01 Aug 24, 2014

Thanks for the prompt reply. The wheel does run free anticlockwise, and wont turn clockwise at all. I didn't try pushing or winding it anymore as soon as i noticed that it seemed stiff.
    Thanks also for the link to that website, I was under the impression (not sure from where) that all Omegas needed to be sent back to Switzerland for servicing as no one else would touch them or something. I guess that isn't the case.

Jake

4. Absent01 Aug 24, 2014

Excellent, seems to be a fairly straightforward problem to solve then. Thanks muchly