Forums Latest Members
  1. inspectedby39 Mar 3, 2017

I just picked up a Seamaster DeVille on eBay, my first vintage Omega.
    It came with its fare share of questions marks but I was intrigued enough to make the purchase.
    So far its been two days and its been running and keeping time well.

As a newbie, I have some questions I'm hoping the forum can answer.
    I can't place this exact reference to this watch, and Naligazone doesn't have a DeVille listed for a Cal 600.
    I am mainly looking to verify its authenticity, and hoping its not pieced together from a few models.
    It needs a service and there are some cosmetic issues, including a small gap between the case and the dial to the left and right of the 11 o'clock marker.
    Is that indicative of the face possibly put on the wrong movement?

Anything that would help verify that I have what I think I have would be appreciated, as well as any other glaring issues that would completely devalue the watch.
    Let me know if you need any additional pictures.

Thanks

Watch Info:
    Seamaster DeVille Manual Wind
    Serial: 19272256
    Cal: 600
    Reference: 14915 62 SC

s-l1600-11.jpg s-l1600-12.jpg s-l1600-13.jpg s-l1600-15.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 3, 2017

Quite genuine.

A quick google search for reference 14915 shows plenty of examples.

"a small gap between the case and the dial to the left and right of the 11 o'clock marker." Most likely due to an ill fitting crystal.

3. Hijak Mar 3, 2017

Here is my Seamaster De Ville reference 14905 with a cal. 552...
    image.jpeg
    These Seamaster De Villes were made from 1963 to 1967. The SMDV came in many different references and all of them are not represented in the Omega Database. Most if not all of these came in front loader cases like yours, the serial number of your movement falls in the correct date range and I've seen these with the hand wound 6xx movements before. Also your dial looks origional based on your pictures so in my opinion yours looks ok. I would like to see close pictures of the dial gap you speak of...it is possible that the crystal was replaced using the wrong retention ring (correct term?) or the dial may not be origional to this case. One thing, the crown is an obvious replacement, not a huge deal. Hope you find this helpful!:thumbsup:

Edward53 likes this.
  4. inspectedby39 Mar 3, 2017

@X350 XJR Thanks, you're probably a better googler than I am!
    I found some things referencing that movement but usually not for a hand wind cal 600.

Given that is sounds like there was some variation during this time, I'm now less worried about it being pieced together or inauthentic.

@Hijak nice looking SMDV!
    I'll try to get a better picture of the gap, is that something that can be addressed during a service?
    Do you have any suggestions for how to find reputable service shops local to NYC to service it or would this need to be sent out?

Thanks again

5. j.allen Mar 4, 2017

I hope they took the dial off before placing it face down. I once bought a watch and the seller lost the minute hand before shipping it to me. I decided to keep it but could never find the proper replacement.

6. inspectedby39 Mar 4, 2017

@j.allen I hope so too!
    The second hand does appear to have a slight bend in the very end, but maybe its just the crystal thats making it appear that way?

@Hijak Here are a few other pictures.
    In one you can see the "gap" I'm talking about around the 10 and to the right of the 11, this angle makes it look more severe.

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 3.31.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 3.35.09 PM.png
  7. Hijak Mar 4, 2017

Looks like bad Crystal fitment.

8. inspectedby39 Mar 4, 2017

@Hijak any idea how much it is to get that fixed? Or how to vet a service center?

9. Hijak Mar 4, 2017

A new crystal with correct retention ring should fix problem and new crystals aren't that expensive. But I would consult a good watchmaker for guidance.

10. TNTwatch Mar 5, 2017

Does the dial have the Omega logo in the centre? If yes, the problem seems to be an over tightened case clamp screw.