Forums Latest Members
  1. Hollyzana Feb 24, 2017

My father's watch. I remember him wearing it. Feeling sentimental-but too large for petite woman's wrist.
    Automatic and Waterproof. No number, just the Symbol on back..(see phone pics)
    I'd like to know what year this is? Can anyone help?
    It appears to be working well when there is movement. A little scratch on the lower left.
    What would be the smartest option to add a band in order to sell it?
    Do you recommend servicing before selling?
    1.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. kkt Feb 24, 2017

Date, approximately 1960s. Before selling, have a watchmaker open the back and take pictures of the movement and inside back of the case. That will reassure buyers that it's not rusty or have other serious issues. The pictures should include the caliber (model of movement) and serial number, looking up the serial number in a table can give you a closer idea of the age. The inside back of the case will include the case reference number

Whether to have it serviced or not is probably a wash - you can expect to get more for a newly-serviced watch, but only by approximately what the service costs. If you do have it serviced, tell the watchmaker no polish, don't replace the hands or dial or have them touched up or relumed; original condition watches are worth far more to collectors than touched up models. Keep any returned parts and sell them along with the watch. Also keep the receipt that shows exactly what they did. If you don't have a watchmaker already, it's probably not worth finding one.

I wouldn't bother with a band. If you don't have the original, vintage watch buyers should have no problem buying a new band or bracelet that appeals to them.

Having discovered that the watch works, I would't recommend running it much until it's serviced. The oils will be dried out and extended running dry will cause more wear on the moving parts.

Good luck with your sale!

3. Hijak Feb 24, 2017

Your watch looks to be in pretty good condition from the pictures. But it will need a movement service from a qualified watchmaker. These Seamaster De Villes were made from 1963 to 1967. I wouldn't service it if you intend on selling, most collectors would prefer to do this themselves. Personally I'd keep it, even at 35/36mm these are small by today's standard and totally appropriate for even the most petite woman's wrist...just my two cents. This is a very nice heirloom piece and worth keeping in the family!

4. Hijak Feb 24, 2017

Also these Seamaster De Villes like yours have the movement removed from the front of the case through the crystal. Not a simple task except for the qualified watchmaker. So if you do decide to sell vet the person you entrust this to, as the kiosk at the mall will surely screw it up! I Also have one of these SMDVs and it is one of my faviorite watches...
    image.jpeg
    Yours looks very similar to mine, a reference 14905 with a caliber 552...although yours does have a date window and most likely has a caliber 562.

GregH and TNTwatch like this.
  5. Gordon Heavyfoot Feb 24, 2017

Looks like it's a 166.0020, I have a couple of them. This is a nice example. One of mine is a cal 560, the other a 565. These are workhorses indeed. If you do sell it I wouldn't bother getting a service done, you won't be able to recoup the cost. Just be sure to disclose that it hasn't been serviced in a long while. Good luck.

6. Davidt Feb 24, 2017

Don't service if you plan on selling.

You're unlikely to recoup the entire cost and the guys who pay the most (generally us), prefer to get unserviced 'barn find' examples and service ourselves.

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 24, 2017

As @Hijak I would suggest just popping any strap on it and trying it on your wrist, you just may like it. My good lady and daughters wear many of my pieces and they do not consider pieces similar in size to yours as large.
    Not a great shot but it may give an idea as to what you could to 'funk' it up if you wished.

IMG_6476.jpg

IMG_6505.jpg

AveConscientia, Hijak and TNTwatch like this.
  8. Ziggy_Stardust Feb 24, 2017

If you do end up selling it I have a funny feeling one of us will snap it up...DIBS

9. AveConscientia Feb 24, 2017

Yes we would love to get your watch though I think you should keep it