Seamaster DeVille 166.020?

Hi All,

I'm still learning about vintage Omega. It looks like I may have found a good Seamaster DeVille solid 14k Gold locally at a good price.

Everything looks good to me clean dial, hands look correct, crown looks original (and signed Omega), and case has good corners so it hasn't been over polished.

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I should look at closer before trying to make a deal?

I’m new to this game but will give it a go: The position of the date within the date window relative to the time would perhaps imply that they aren’t calibrated correctly. Also the lumed hands but unlumed indices could be an issue… but I would ignore my apprentice level understanding and wait for more expert opinions.

Like 1
Do you have any better pictures of the front. It looks ok at a glance but the resolution on the photos is poor.

@Makesbelieve makes a valid point about the hands possibly being replaced but this type of dial does sometimes have very small lume got at the tips of the hour markers so they hands could be correct.

click on picture!
zzzz.jpg

:thumbsup:

now you can see the dial has T’s and small lume wells at the ends of the markers so it’s likely the hands are original

Like 4
Since no one is screaming fake, redial, wrong hand, etc I'm assuming that's a passive thumbs up. Is that correct?

Just looking for reassurance since.i know it's easy to make a mistake with vintage.

Definitely not a fake. Condition pretty good for a gold case. Dial ok and hands probably original. Not a big deal but cannot see the crystal is signed in the middle so may be a replacement.
Always allow for cost of a service on top of the asking price and especially given the off-centre date and no movement pictures.

All that matters then is the right price. How much is it?

I didn't initially mention price because people on the forum don't like talking money. The local seller offered it to me for $1,000.

I did see the lopsided date but didn't see pull the crown and play with it yet.

I feel like I should have jumped on it. His pricing is all over the place. His price on other watches was super high. They are a business, not an individual. Hopefully he doesn't come to his senses.

I didn't initially mention price because people on the forum don't like talking money. The local seller offered it to me for $1,000.

I did see the lopsided date but didn't see pull the crown and play with it yet.

I feel like I should have jumped on it. His pricing is all over the place. His price on other watches was super high. They are a business, not an individual. Hopefully he doesn't come to his senses.
I have not monitored the prices on these recently but gut feel is the price is ok but not necessarily a bargain.
A fine looking steel 166.020, fully serviced on a BOR bracelet sold on OF recently for £1450. Here's the link. Hope this helps with deliberations
https://omegaforums.net/threads/vin...le-166-020-w-grey-dial-fully-serviced.161406/

I have not monitored the prices on these recently but gut feel is the price is ok but not necessarily a bargain.
A fine looking steel 166.020, fully serviced on a BOR bracelet sold on OF recently for £1450. Here's the link. Hope this helps with deliberations
https://omegaforums.net/threads/vin...le-166-020-w-grey-dial-fully-serviced.161406/

That one is stainless steel and the one I'm looking at is 14k solid gold.

I was thinking the 14k gold ones were in the $2,000 to $3,000 range. If I'm wrong let me know.

Looks nice to me, and $1k USD is a fair price IMO.

Like 1
That one is stainless steel and the one I'm looking at is 14k solid gold.
I'm aware and that's why I said steel in my post. However that one has a BOR bracelet and full service included.
Im not sure there would be a massive premium for a 14k gold unserviced, arguably less attractive watch on a generic leather strap.
Just my opinion to add to the mix and help you make an informed decision. Ultimately it is your choice anyway.

Like 1
I'm aware and that's why I said steel in my post. However that one has a BOR bracelet and full service included.
Im not sure there would be a massive premium for a 14k gold unserviced, arguably less attractive watch on a generic leather strap.
Just my opinion to add to the mix and help you make an informed decision. Ultimately it is your choice anyway.

The information and opinion is appreciated. I'm here to learn and asking others so I don't make costly mistakes.

Like 1
The caseback looks like stainless on the photo outside of the medalion- unless its just the light?

Edit: Actually I think its a 1 piece case so it must just be the lighting....