Forums Latest Members
  1. ewand Aug 10, 2016

[EDIT] - I now have the watch and know it to be a 1966 CD 166.020 with Cal 562. See further below for more pics if you're interested.

Hi - I'd appreciate any help in identifying this Seamaster DeVille - I genuinely know nothing about them, and was looking at this particular auction for another piece, and semi-accidentally bid on this thing, only to find I've won it ...
    smfront.jpg

It's described as "Gents vintage gold plated automatic Omega Seamaster De Ville wristwatch, in original box". I'm guessing mid 1960s? I've not seen one with numerals vs batons before...

I've done a good bit of searching and only come across a handful of similar watches, though often with a solid gold case. Thanks in advance for any guidance as to what I've just bought, and if you could help me feel better by telling me what you think it's worth, then please do ;-)
    smback.jpg

I don't think the lighting is great from their photos, but here's a bigger one of the watch face:
    upload_2016-8-11_15-55-11.png
    I'm presuming from a couple of similar watches that I've seen for sale, that the case is 166.5020 and it has a cal.565 movement...?

Edited Aug 22, 2016
    GregH likes this.
  2. Mothra Aug 11, 2016

ewan, the numerals definitely strikes a chord with me - trying to remember if I nearly bought one - but not having any luck. If I do, I'll update. In the meanwhile, have a bump....

ewand likes this.
  3. ewand Aug 11, 2016

Thanks - I know you like gold watches but they don't normally do anything for me :) I'm intrigued to see what this one looks like in the metal...

4. Maybe Aug 12, 2016

Congrats! Dont think its original crown, if that matters to you. Other than that: clean!

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 12, 2016

6. Mothra Aug 13, 2016

Yes! The UK only bit is something I've heard before....

7. ewand Aug 13, 2016

Ah. thanks Gator. That explains why there are so few of them around, it seems :)

8. ewand Aug 22, 2016

OK, I've got the watch and had the movement out to take a look at it - it's in pretty good shape, I think, apart from a hairline scratch on the dial (by 2-3) which isn't really visible to the naked eye but looks like a hair trapped under the crystal when looked through a loupe. The crown is also a replacement - maybe I'll try to get a correct one - and I think the second hand is also too short so has presumably been replaced at some stage.
    WP_20160822_11_21_27_Pro (2).jpg

It's a gold-capped CD 166.020 from 1966, with the UK numerals dial (I'd love to see any more details about that if anyone has them; couldn't find any further resources that showed the option or anything...)
    WP_20160822_11_21_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20160822_11_21_35_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20160822_09_59_46_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20160822_10_00_02_Pro.jpg

davidswiss, TNTwatch, Mothra and 2 others like this.
  9. Edward53 Aug 22, 2016

That dial is really nice, a lot more so than the original photos made it appear! Good catch!

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  10. Gordon Heavyfoot Aug 22, 2016

I owned a 166.0020 with a Cal 560, 17 jewels, with all Arabic numerals in stainless. 21 mil serial. Would the 17 jewels not make it a watch destined for the American market? Trying to learn, this hobby can be quite convoluted, but that's what makes it interesting! Best regards to all.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 22, 2016

Maybe yes, maybe no. It is possible some Cal. 560's were sold outside the USA/Canadian market.

You'd need to get an abstract from the archives to be sure.
    gatorcpa

12. ewand Aug 22, 2016

Well, the watch in question here is a 24-jewel 562 so maybe that affirms that it was not for the US?
    I'm a bit intrigued about the numeral dial being a UK option thing - that's what draw me to it, knowing nothing about Seamaster De Villes and not really liking gold watches...

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 24, 2016

That looks rather like this on the LHS, solid 9K gold case, 601 movement Geneve man wind from 1969, case no 131.25016. I bought it because I hadn't seen too many with arab dials so like you was intrigued. Like yours the indices are raised and look to be black coated metal (gold) with an bevel effect. Mine looks to be a similar front loader case design with similar lug profile too. The dial looks paler in the flesh, like those above but the light falling on it makes it look darker here.

I love the fact that it may be a rare UK dial variation! Or so the thread above leads me to believe.

[​IMG]

ps The RHS one is a 9K cal 260 from 1949 in a Dennison case. If anyone knows what this model should be known as (can't be a case number in a non omega case can it?) I would be grateful.

Edited Aug 24, 2016
    GregH and ewand like this.
  14. ewand Aug 24, 2016

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 24, 2016

I think that dial may be slightly different and possibly slightly earlier than yours; I would guess 59-60. The indices aren't black and I don't think they have the pointed profile of yours and mine as they appear flat, though it is hard to tell.

16. GregH Aug 24, 2016

I really like the Arabic numerals in your watch @ewand. I was considering that myself! The numerals on my watch are little different, but seem to be a bit unusual on these "calendar at 6" models. I was drawn to those numerals on my watch. Mine is from 1952 @padders. Here are the details:
    Omega Seamaster Calendar
    34mm bumper automatic
    cal 355 ref 2627-8 SC SN 13,xxx,xxx
    Greg. :)

ewand likes this.
  17. Lone Ranger Dec 2, 2017

Hello all.
    I'm a real novice in the vintage watch realm and would appreciate very much any assistance from you experts. I bought the watch on the spur of the moment from a jewellers in Birmingham, UK. It looked and felt so good on. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have the option to return if I'm not satisfied if it's genuine. The jewellers could not be more specific than saying it was a mid '60's Seamaster De Ville.

The dial is in very good condition (I was worried too good), as is the bracelet and casing. It looks like it has had little wear.
    There is a service record saying the glass, crown and stem were replaced in 2010.

I was worried I had purchased a franken watch as in all the images I had seen of 60's examples the vast majority were baton models and none were of full numerals. Then I came across this post which put my mind at ease.

Just wondering whether anyone on here could confirm whether it is indeed a
    cd 160 020 with a UK specific dial. Many thanks in advance.

mydeafcat likes this.
  18. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 2, 2017

That does look very like the dial in mine shown above. 160.020 doesn't sound right, 166.020 is more likely based on how the case numbers work. As you may already know, the exact year can be pretty well identified if you have the movement serial number, a bit tricker to get with front loaders like that. The serial may be listed on the service paperwork, if there is paperwork. My guess would be late 60s.

Small world, I work in the jewellery quarter myself (not a a watch dealer I hasten to add). Which jeweller was it?

Edited Dec 2, 2017
    mydeafcat likes this.
  19. Lone Ranger Dec 2, 2017

Hi Padders.
    Small world indeed!
    Thanks for the reply. It was from a jewellers called Rex Johnson and Sons. Not in jewellery quarter, I don’t think. Corporation St (I’m not local so I could be wrong).

Nothing on the service paperwork with the serial. The only other paperwork is a one year warranty dated from 1967 from a shop called Perry Greaves. It looked to me that may have been for a watch purchased second hand which led me to think the watch have purchased new been slightly earlier.

The jeweller didn’t feel competent popping the front and I certainly don’t! My main concern was whether it was a genuine piece. I can always take it to a watchmaker to pop the front and get the serial number in due course.

20. casavova007 Dec 2, 2017

This is a beautiful watch

mydeafcat likes this.