Forums Latest Members

Seamaster Cosmic 2000 - Is it worth to restore/repare this watch?

1. TiCor78 Jun 3, 2019

Hi,

Yesterday I was talking with my dad about watches when I reminded him about the Omega he wore when I was a kid.

He told me he still had it, but that it didn't work anymore.
    He pulled it out of a drawer and gave me his old Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000, which he bought in 1973.

[​IMG]

It isn't in the best condition. To say the least... Although my dad said that it doesn't run anymore, I got it to work after a firm shake...
    It doesn't run well though. I set the time yesterday evening at 22:45 and it's at 14:13u now. Real time is 12:52...
    Crystal and case have many scratches. Also the "inner bezel" is broken near the crown.
    (My dad just told me that he gave the watch to a friend who tried to "repair" the watch. With a broken "inner bezel" and scratch in the dial near the date.)
    The text on the dial seems scratched on the photo, but that's due to the scratches on the crystal.
    Other than the scratch near the date, the dial seems fine.

I have three questions:

- Would it be worth to have this watch restored/repaired? Or would this be too expensive?
    - Is it correct that the ref of this watch is 166.0129? I cant' find the ref on omegawatches.com/vintage-watches
    - Does anyone know what the engraving at the case back means? It reads dm3996.

[​IMG]

Thank you very much!

2. michael22 Jun 3, 2019

I would get it serviced, just because it was my dad's. It has some problems, & you should stop shaking it.
    We're not talking big money.
    The ring above the dial seems damaged, don't know how that could happen. It needs an inspection.

DaveK and TiCor78 like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 3, 2019

1) Yes worth fixing as it was your fathers. Good little watches once serviced Should be able to get a inner bezel.

2) I will let someone else answer or googling “ Seamaster Cosmic 2000” will help

3) The engraving was after it left the Omega store maybe your father might know. Looks hand done

TiCor78 likes this.
  4. dan7800 Jun 3, 2019

Do some research and find someone to lovingly service it. Then wear it with pride and think of your dad.

TiCor78 likes this.
  5. bsmets1971 Jun 3, 2019

I have to concur with the above, have it serviced and wear it as a family heirloom.

TiCor78 likes this.
  6. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2019

Worth servicing for sure-especially since it’s your dad’s. Let us know where in the world you are and a qualified watchmaker can be reccomended

TiCor78 likes this.
  7. TiCor78 Jun 3, 2019

Thank you very much!

I'll try to find a good watchmaker.
    I'm from Belgium. If anyone can recommend a good place to send this watch to it would be appreciated.

8. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2019

Post a new thread for “whatchmaker in Belgium” and specify region- someone will give you some good names of people experienced with Omega.

DaveK and TiCor78 like this.
  9. peterkirk01 Jun 3, 2019

I am based in Ireland and I use a watch guy called Jose in Porto. He worked for many years in main watch dealerships and now is out on his own. You can send him your watch and before any work is done he will give you an estimate and only use genuine parts. His email is [email protected]. Please tell him I sent you. Thanks.

TiCor78 likes this.
  10. TiCor78 Jun 3, 2019

Thank you very much!
    I'll send him an email. As long as it's within Europe it's doable.
    I used to live and work in Ireland (Tallaght). :)

11. peterkirk01 Jun 3, 2019

He is a really nice guy. Access to original omega parts and guarantees his work also. I send him anything that needs work, he takes his time but for me it is top quality and great prices. He sends photos of work in progress and I cannot fault his work. He advertises on e bay and that's where I contacted him originally. Good luck.

12. peterkirk01 Jun 3, 2019

Sorry, Tallaght, you poor soul. Was it for something bad you done in a previous life.

TiCor78 likes this.
  13. TiCor78 Jun 3, 2019

:D UPS... :whistling:

14. peterkirk01 Jun 4, 2019

If you need more information, approximate price that I pay for work, postage, length of time to repair etc please contact me. Good luck.