Forums Latest Members
  1. mcl5126 Sep 8, 2016

Hey all,

First post here. I've been surfing jewelry websites the past few days looking at some older Omegas. I'm not a watch snob but I'm definitely interested in a new time piece. One that I am CONSIDERING is an older Omega Seamaster Cosmic. The description has it as 1970s.

First of all, I'm wondering if it's authentic of course. I looked at some other forum posts and the backing of the case looks legitimate enough compared to other pictures I've seen of Seamaster Cosmics (but this is based on other forum's opinions). The dial's numbering system looks normal as well. I've read that some Seamaster Cosmics may not have "tails" on them which these pictures seem to show. I'm concerned to see if the crown is indeed the one that goes with the watch. From previous posts I read on WatchUSeek (not sure if this is a good reference or not), it seems like the crown should be simpler.

Second of all, I know that Omega came out with a 1000 series calibre movements around this time period. It was innovative with a faster fbs but I read there were some growing pains. I want a watch to "collect" but overall, I definitely value functionality and reliability. If this watch does have it, does anyone have any personal experience with reliability of this? So far, this watch falls within my price range.

I know it's a pretty long post but I just wanted to get what little information I had out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.truefacet.com/rare-vint...ss-watch-swiss-made-original-1970-s-tk11.html

Seamaster 1.PNG Seamaster 2.PNG Seamaster 3.PNG Seamaster 4.PNG Seamaster 5.PNG Seamaster 6.PNG
  2. mcl5126 Sep 8, 2016

By "tails", I was referring to the hour and minute hands of the watch.

3. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Sep 8, 2016

mint condition

4. Edward53 Sep 9, 2016

It says at the link that it's been sold. It was not exactly cheap (what do they mean by "retail price" anyway?) and the "arty" way the photos are lit means you can't tell if the dial is refinished or not. The crown looks correct and there is nothing obviously wrong with any of it, but the Cosmics are not fought over like the earlier SMs and you can definitely get a good one cheaper than that with a bit of patience.

mcl5126 likes this.
  5. mcl5126 Sep 9, 2016

I'm not sure how TrueFacet creates the retail price. I do know that the listings on there are sometimes concurrently listed on eBay too at a very similar or exact price, and it was showing available on eBay. I appreciate your advice though on the Cosmics and their collectible quality. Regardless, it looks like the pricing could be lower. I'll most likely pass.