Forums Latest Members
  1. Mike_B Jul 4, 2016

Hello fellow members.

thank you for taking the time to read my post, I am new to Omega watches although I have collected watches on and off all my life. Mainly new watches between £100-£200 UK mark.
    Now found a new lease of life looking at vintage watches. I have obtained a black faced Seamaster Cosmic with date.
    model 166.026 tool 107. I am lead to believe this is a 565 movement. Watch is in fairly good condition but I have no history for it but it cost me £250.00 which I think was a reasonable price for me to punt at.
    Now I have some questions that I am hoping some of you much more knowledgeable members can help me with if you would be so kind.
    Please see photos attached (not best quality from my phone)

First one could be fairly easy! Straps, this watch came with a reproduction Omega strap that I find completely awful. I would like to have a few straps for this watch but lug to lug measures 19mm. can anyone advise the best place to find decent straps of this "rare" size. I would not mind trying a bracelet or even a mesh one but they are all 18 or 20mm. not sure the 18 would look right.

At some point this watch has lost its crown and split stem, it has been replaced with what appears to be a standard one which to me is completely wrong. crown does not fit flush. Now I have done much research trying to find the spare parts required and have not had much success, My belief is its a tap 9 crown thread. I have seen for sale on Ofrei.com a stem that you can cut to required length but these guys are in the USA. Cousins I am very confused with but I did find something on redroosteruk.com shows this number 081ST9993. Can anyone please advise which stem & crown I would need. ( I am thinking I can fix this problem myself - I am in Engineering so have the ability to cut the small stem)

Last question is the crystal, not that happy with it. seems very plastic ish, lots of light reflections which is annoying. that said there is not a mark on it. Now my concern it it looks like its been glued in? (see closup photo) these i know are a pressure fit so I am thinking this has been bodged. I am actually quite upset about this as I did not pick it up on the pictures of the auction listing. I am wanting to get it serviced soon and can see that this will be around the £130.00 plus additional parts. I have never had a watch serviced and as the movement can only be accessed by the crystal, the question is would the crystal be changed as part of the service? or would the watchmaker rather re-use the one thats come out. therefore would it be cheaper for me to source the crystal myself.

I know I am asking allot here but I have looked on this forum for my specific answers but with no avail. I am now also worried that you may all say I have bought a lemon. Now as the new rightful owner I want to do right by this little piece as I really quite like it, especially as its by first Omega!

thanks for your consideration.

IMG_9908.JPG IMG_9913 (Large).JPG IMG_9919 (Large).JPG IMG_9920 (Large).JPG IMG_9971 (Large).JPG
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 4, 2016

The split stem does not appear to be seated all the way, so I'm unsure if the female and male parts of the stem are fully slipped together - this may be why the crown is sticking out.

Crown parts number is 069ST42527, crown portion of split stem is 081ST9992, and crystal is 063PZ5123.

My suggestion is to take it to a watchmaker to get the work done, unless you have proper tools and experience to do this yourself.

Cheers, Al

Bluebear62, Danwales, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  3. Mike_B Jul 4, 2016

Hello Al,

Thank you very much for helping me with the part numbers I really appreciate your time.
    From what I can gather it would just seem that the split stem is too long but there is no way of shortening it due to lack of thread to go into the crown.
    I think the stem connects okay to the male part as you can feel it bite plus you can change the time / date shift. Also removing the split stem from the case is quite a pull. I had looked at a photo of part no. 081ST9993 and this show the thread on the split stem much closer to the head so I feel that this would be my answer.
    I need to get this fixed as it is an imperfection that I cannot live with despite it being only 1mm or so out. As a precision engineer (surface grinder) 1mm is huge to me!
    I have found someone local to me that would service at around £130.00 GBP I expect parts to be expensive, plus a new strap will make this watch quite expensive and perhaps higher than market value. Not that I really want to sell but the watch maker guy did suggest that perhaps to sell and find a better one with the money combined.
    I am on the fence though as I do like the dial and in 3 months of looking for one this is only the second one I have seen that has a black face with cross hears.

4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 4, 2016

Def one of the nicest cosmic s I've seen... :thumbsup:

Dump the 130 on it and smile once you get it back from service, saying you brought it back to life... ;)

Not all is money in this world...

Spruce, DaveK and Mike_B like this.
  5. Mike_B Jul 5, 2016

Thanks for the complement, it will be going for a service in a few weeks time.

6. blueteg Dec 15, 2020

@Archer I was searching through old threads to try and figure out what would be needed to replace my unsigned crown on my Seamaster Cosmic (ref. 166.026) w/ the 565 movement, and came across this thread. Any suggestions on where I can source these two parts (new and sealed in packaging)?

7. syrej Jan 3, 2021

Hello Archer,

Do you know the gold crown part numbers also for Seamaster cosmic (ref 166.026) ?

Best Regards,
    jerry

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 3, 2021

069SX42527

Danwales likes this.
  9. syrej Jan 4, 2021

Thank you, Archer.

Do you know the difference between 069SX42527 and 069SX42523?

10. dennisondik Jun 11, 2021

Please help if you can. I am in need of a female stem part for a seamaster cosmic case 166.023 movement 565. I need a 10 tap (.090mm) thread. I the broken ones Non-threaded part is 1.20 mm diameter and 1.85 mm long. According to CasKer a bestfit 360-344 is suppose to work. I see that there are 2 omega parts but I 081ST9992 and 081ST9993. I don't have the dimensions for the non threaded part so I am not sure if these can work or not.. Can you Help?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 11, 2021

The Omega parts are very long, and cab be cut to length, so they are sort of universal, and will work for your watch.

watchyouwant likes this.
  12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 11, 2021

First make sure, that the existing crown fits the case tube . Either measure with your caliper or unscrew the female stem from the crown and check, if the crown goes flush to the case or maybe an unseated crown seal blocks that