Forums Latest Members
  1. bstmastr Dec 27, 2018

Hi All, I have an Omega Seamaster Co-axial Chronometer, about 10 years old which stopped working. Apparently the spring broke and a few "wheels" also need fixing. Estimate is 1200 to fix this. Considering the watch was ~$3500-$4000, any ideas on how to get this fixed for less and is it worth it? Any ideas how this could occur? Thanks so much. what amazes me is that I have my grandfather's Omega which is 40 years old and works perfectly without having any maintenance
    Thanks so much, i appreciate the the info.

2. italy1861 Dec 27, 2018

40 years old with no maintenance?

Duckie and Archer like this.
  3. Lbreak Dec 28, 2018

10 years old should be still within the "modern" range, I think it shouldn't cost that much if you send it to Omega. They will replace all damaged parts and restore it to factory spec

4. Donn Chambers Dec 28, 2018

As others have said, that quoted price is far too high for a standard service. According to Omega’s website:

https://www.omegawatches.com/custom...s-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service

The price for a steel mechanical watch is only $550, and it will come with a 2-year warranty.

Are there other items being replaced (dials, bezels, crystal, bracelet)? If so, these can jack up the price and generally none of these HAVE to be replaced. Is this a local watchmaker giving you this repair quote? Or is it a jeweler store with no onsite watchmaker? If the latter, I’ve heard stories of jewelers sending the watch to Omega for the repair, then charging extra for their “handling”. If this is the case, that’s a lot of “handling” fees.

In any case, it’s not that complicated to send the watch to an Omega service center directly and cut out the middleman.

Lbreak likes this.
  5. JeremyS Dec 28, 2018

It’s not possible to say whether such an estimate is fair or not without a detailed itemization. A basic movement service and replacement of the mainspring, maybe barrel and a couple gear train wheels along with replacement of the seals should cost less. However, if something like the entire baseplate needs replaced, that wouldn’t usually be covered in Omega’s $550 full service. Replacement of cosmetic parts like the dial, hands and bezel can also drive up the price quickly. A new crystal is pricey, too. Lots of things can affect the price. And, if you don’t have an itemized estimate, I’d be very cautious. The technical details of watch service are above my head, but anyone wanting $1200 to service an 1120 caliber movement should be able to give an itemization.

Lbreak and connieseamaster like this.
  6. bstmastr Dec 28, 2018

I greatly appreciate the info. WIll definitely keep looking

Lbreak likes this.
  7. bstmastr Dec 28, 2018

8. bstmastr Dec 28, 2018

I happened to have the watch while I had to go into a local jewelry store who sent it to an offsite watchmaker. I will send it to omega directly and go from there. Thank you for the info. I appreciate it

Lbreak likes this.
  9. bstmastr Dec 28, 2018

I onlyl received a phone call with the price. I am still waiting for the itemization. just seems strange for "so much" to go wrong in a watch like this.

10. Donn Chambers Dec 28, 2018

Yep. Sounds like a case of inflated “handling” fees to me. Contact Omega for shipping instructions and I’m sure you will be much happier.

connieseamaster likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 28, 2018

If you are going to use an independent watchmaker, deal directly with the watchmaker, and not through a store. In most cases the price the watchmaker is charging the store will be doubled - at least that's the typical sort of mark-up I've seen.

As others have said without knowing the specific movement and the scope of work, the price is just a number that can't really be said is too high, too low, or just right. If this is a simple 3 hand auto with date, it certainly sounds high, but if this is a chronograph, then maybe not.

Cheers, Al

Lbreak likes this.