Forums Latest Members

Seamaster Clasp with micro adjustment, converting to a thinner clasp

1. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 8, 2018

I was wanting to get a new diver and had narrowed it down to a RADO Captain Hook 45mm titanium, or the blue Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (which I regretfully sold two years ago). I ended up trying on the RADO two days ago, but the thing was way too huge for me at 45mm. And the 37mm they offer was just too small. While I have worn a 45mm very well in the past, I have lost a fair amount of weight and now the 45 mm as simply too large for my wrists. I still wear both my modern and vintage Ploprofs, and despite the size these still wear well for me.

I own the Seamaster 300 ti MC. I very much like this watch, but the clasp is too think for me. The newer Omega watches are now coming with the micro adjustable clasps and they add 2 mm to the thickness of the clasp.

Below are the Seamaster 300 ti MC (7 mm clasp thickness), the Best Speedmaster LE Ever Made (5 mm clasp thickness), and the Blue DIal Aqua Terra (7 mm clasp thickness). Now even though the AT is 7 mm thick, I have no issues with it when I wear it.

In any case, I am reaching out for some assistance on what my options might be. I have seen a few threads on adjustments from a regular clasp to a micro clasp. I suspect I should be able to find the part number of the non adjustable clasp for a regular Seamaster 300 with a bracelet that has screws (I think 1515) and order that clasp direct from Omega.

Any thoughts or ideas on options?

upload_2018-2-8_14-5-37.png

upload_2018-2-8_14-12-8.png

2. OmegaRookie Feb 8, 2018

I would send you my non adjustable clasp but it’s from a Planet Ocean and it’s only 18mm wide. I’m pretty sure your bracelet is 20mm at the clasp. If you can find a 20mm clasp I’m sure it will work fine. The 46mm Planet Ocean with the 8500 movement might be 20mm at the clasp. I’m sure an Omega boutique can likely help you

Taddyangle likes this.
  3. flyinb44 Feb 15, 2018

Its going to depend on who you speak to at the OB. I just went through this with replacing the clasp on my Speedmaster and it was like having a conversation with someone on the stand at a Congressional hearing. Your best bet is to find the model that the clasp you want came on originally and inquire about that watch to get the correct part numbers you need.

Edited Feb 16, 2018
    Taddyangle and BostonCanuck like this.
  4. zrleopold Feb 15, 2018

I own the stainless steel version of the 300MC, and I do find the clasp a little thick sometimes. Overall though the bracelet is nice. However yesterday a screw holding a springbar in the micro adjustment part came of and the whole watch came off! Fortunately into my lab and not onto the floor :(

Taddyangle likes this.
  5. zrleopold Feb 15, 2018

Taddyangle likes this.
  6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 16, 2018

I ordered the clasp last week at the OB. I went with the stainless clasp for $111 vs titanium $279. I will follow up with pics once they install it for me.

The lollipop is awesome on this watch. In 50 years sure to be discussed in a thread here on OF. :)

7. OmegaRookie Feb 16, 2018

Well done. I hope you don’t miss the adjustability. The lollipop second hand looks great!

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 21, 2018

Mission Accomplished!

Only thing remaining is to get rid of the PCLs.

upload_2018-2-21_11-39-48.png

upload_2018-2-21_11-40-12.png

upload_2018-2-21_11-40-37.png

Morrisdog likes this.
  9. larryganz The cable guy Feb 21, 2018

Does anyone know the thickness of the new 0117STZ004666 clasp with only 4 micro-adjustments, from the 39.5mm Planet Ocean 8800?

10. Morrisdog Feb 22, 2018

Wow!! Well done. I agree the clasp design from an aesthetic point of view could have been better. I too find mine a bit awkward to look at but don’t have any issues with comfort etc when wearing it. So do you prefer this newer clasp? I am happy to stick with the original and not spend too much time looking at the clasp.. it’s pretty scratched up anyway!

11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 22, 2018

I very much prefer the thinner clasp. As I type this thread I am wearing my "Limited Edition SM300 ti MC w/lollipop".

Much like I prefer the PO 2500 vs PO 8500. One of the nicest looking watches I owned (aside from the Blancpain FF blue and the Gemini 4) was the PO ti 45mm, but the damn thing was too thick so I had to sell it.

Why does Omega do this? Look at the difference in thickness. I have to be thinking how the heck did this make it up the chain. Nobody said wow, that thing is do damn thick. Or maybe they said lets try and break the record for thickest clasp.

upload_2018-2-22_8-36-11.png

upload_2018-2-22_8-35-38.png
  12. Meme-Dweller Feb 22, 2018

I'm pretty sure some dude in Bienne is designing these clasps on a computer and doesn't actually wear them to realize how unbalanced and uncomfortable they are. I bought the Speedy 60th anniversary sight unseen last year after the Baselworld unveiling and I am really afraid of purchasing another new Speedy again without seeing it in person first. The clasp ruined the entire watch and I had to flip it. It's as thick (if not slightly thicker) than a Planet Ocean 43.5mm's clasp.

[​IMG]

Taddyangle likes this.
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 22, 2018

Ya, some dude probably wearing a Apple iWatch.

All the sales staff at the OB wear an Omega, you would think they would say something to the higher ups about how thick these clasps are. I tried on the new seamaster 300 and it is a beautiful watch, but the thick ass clasp makes it a non starter, and that they did not release in blue.

14. Df13 Feb 22, 2018

I think the same could be said about the watches themselves, too. The 2500 Railmaster/Aqua Terra/PO are still tops when it comes to case dimensions.

Taddyangle likes this.