Forums Latest Members
  1. dantaspaulo Jan 24, 2014

What do you gentlemen think of this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The seller doesn't have any high-res photos, and I did notice the case is heavily polished, but other than that do you notice anything too suspicious? He's offering it at a very good price so I might take the risk if you don't think it's too terrible.

Thanks for you input!

Cheers,

Paulo

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 24, 2014

Dial has some chipping on the lower parts and movement could probably benefit from a full service. Watch looks genuine though. :)

3. ulackfocus Jan 24, 2014

It's real, but it's a beater! How much are they asking?

4. Dablitzer Jan 24, 2014

Here's another one

5. dantaspaulo Jan 24, 2014

USD280. Fair, right?

6. ICONO Jan 24, 2014

Having owned, & sold 5 of these in the past - This is a pretty good example - Original 'Sun Burst' effect still apparent on the case - Do not be put off by the weird reflections in the crystal - I do not think they are in the Dial..............Another example of the poor photography of a 'black dial' where the dial looks far worse than it actually is.

I truly believe these will be the new 'Speedmaster' in future years - As 'Vintage Speedmaster' moves further, & further out of the range of most people's wallets..........The Seamaster Chronostop will fill that Market gap.

They were only produced for about 2 years, & are infinitely more affordable, than other Marques of the era.

My advice would to go 'head on', with a straight offer, which the Seller cannot refuse.

Far better investment, than money earning 'damn all' in the Bank

Dablitzer and dantaspaulo like this.
  7. ulackfocus Jan 24, 2014

Very. A watchmaker who knows what they are doing could make it presentable, even decent, and you'd have a cool daily driver for around $500 to $600-ish.

I think WatchCo had some NOS dials for these still.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  8. dantaspaulo Jan 24, 2014

I'll take a shot using PayPal. Seller has no feedback. :confused:

Let's just hope I don't get a box with a brick inside instead of a watch.

(On another note, I had promised myself not to buy another watch for a few months. My promise only lasted for about 3 weeks. Oy.)

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 24, 2014

Well that's a coincidence - I just started servicing one of the exact same model this morning.

From the photo, the movement on the one you show has seem some moisture at some point, so it looks like some corrosion on the steel parts. Hopefully it won't need many parts.

I think once cleaned up and with a new crystal, it will look quite good.

Cheers, Al

dantaspaulo likes this.
  10. Tritium Jan 24, 2014

Resistance is futile

dantaspaulo likes this.
  11. dantaspaulo Jan 24, 2014

Seller sent a couple more pics. I guess after some TLC, service and perhaps a new dial she'll be a cool beater. Thank you all for your input!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

12. dantaspaulo Jan 29, 2014

It turns out that, once paid, the seller has vanished :mad: . Has this happened to anyone? How difficult is it to get a refund from PayPal?

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 29, 2014

Paid via Paypal?

Evidence of postage?

It's a waiting game now, document everything for the time you may have to make a claim.

You should have no problems if it was a scam.

Takes time though.

Chill.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  14. dantaspaulo Jan 29, 2014

Yep, paid via PayPal. After that, the seller sent a couple more pics upon my request (the last ones I posted here) and then ::blowup:: bum! Vanished!

I'm actually way more pissed about not getting the watch than losing my money (does that make sense?). :(

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 29, 2014

open case as soon as possible

now you are truly WIS :p

16. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 29, 2014

I am in such a situation right now. I paid through Paypal and the seller vanished. The seller had a perfect feedback with more than 500 transactions. About 4-5 weeks after I completed the transaction I still did not receive the watch and noticed the seller received several negative feedbacks for not delivering purchased items. Its possible the account was hacked or something happened to the seller. In any case, I was able to file a complaint with eBAY through the resolution center. I talked to an eBAY rep yesterday and he told me I was covered and that if the seller does not refund in 6 days I will receive a full refund from eBAY.

17. ron n Jan 29, 2014

A good reason to never use pay pal gift option.

18. ketiljo Jan 29, 2014

Nice watches. I've concidered this many times, but I'm put off by the lack of running seconds.

19. ulackfocus Jan 29, 2014

Start the chronograph. ;)

Besides, where does anyone have to be that's clocked down to each second?

20. ketiljo Jan 29, 2014

Good point. But I like to see that it's running. Hand wind after all, and with some autos and some handwound in rotation, it's easy to forget.