Forums Latest Members
  1. Risto Dec 10, 2019

I'm looking for a cal 321 chronographs and this dealer has two lovely Seamasters.
    These two seem to be in nice condition.
    Case backs have scratches.
    The prices are not cheap though.

I have no affiliation to this dealer, I am always buying for myself. The 321 Speedmasters are getting to expensive, so these Seamasters would make a great alternative.

1. https://www.shucktheoyster.com/omega-vintage-seamaster-chronograph-105-001-62-2/
    Ref 105.001-62
    1962. Serviced. I compared to photos online and seems alright.

Screenshot 2019-12-10 10.47.44.png Screenshot 2019-12-10 10.47.34.png

2. https://www.shucktheoyster.com/omega-vintage-seamaster-chronograph-14364-1/
    Ref 14364-1
    1960. Serviced.

Screenshot 2019-12-10 10.53.18.png

So, do these look original and worth the money?
    Thanks!

2. S.H. Dec 10, 2019

It is a dealer so prices are expected to be high. On the first one I'd expect a case in much better shape at this price (caseback gouged, and what's up with the start pusher?). Second one is slightly better but no more lume on indexes.

=> in a word, average watches priced above average imho.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 10, 2019

Why do you say that? There does appear to be lume, though larger images would be needed to assess the state of preservation.

4. S.H. Dec 10, 2019

JohnLy likes this.
  5. jaspers Dec 10, 2019

Shuck the Oyster have a beautifully curated collection, but I find their prices disproportionate. They seem to cater to the subset of demand that (1) is not price-senstive and (2) unwulling/unable to perform due diligence on the second hand market. What you buy from them is a vintage watch you can safely assume is authentic, and has been serviced well recently. Putting your mind at ease like that comes with a premium.

Sometimes they're pushing it though: a 2017 Seiko SKX009 for €500?? ::screwloose::
    Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 12.19.49.png

thelinendial and sdre like this.
  6. septentrio Dec 10, 2019

You normally have to do approx half of the asking price at Shuck to get to the normal market prices.

Mark020 likes this.
  7. default Dec 10, 2019

I always wonder how they find buyers at these price levels and also wonder what happens if a customer wants to re-sell the watch to them 6 months after the purchase

SwissZ and jaspers like this.
  8. Risto Dec 11, 2019

Thanks for the input, everybody!

I like this watch a lot but can't find anything for sale for less and in good condition.
    Probably the real market value at the moment for these is around 4000 EUR.

9. sdre Dec 11, 2019

I remember calling him out for selling a 166.010 for 2500 Euros... when i got mine for 750 USD....

thelinendial and marco like this.
  10. jaspers Dec 11, 2019

Danson.gif

11. ConElPueblo Dec 11, 2019

Then why don't you post a WTB advert saying that you'll pay €3500 for one in excellent condition and see what people have available? I think that more than a few will come running.

12. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 11, 2019

I'd say that the criticism of the dealer is over-the-top. This is not a fly-by-night dealer who is trying to fleece naïve collectors. He has been around for years, and often features very nice examples of desirable watches. What that means is that there is a market for his business model, and some of the complaints on this thread miss the point that there are buyers/collectors who are willing to pay premiums for difficult to find and/or particularly nice examples of desirable watches.

I have done business with him exactly once, and bought this watch:

[​IMG]

It is a beautiful example of a rare variation. Try to find another black dial version of this model, let alone one in such good condition.

In terms of price, it wasn't cheap, but I subsequently sold it to a Japanese dealer without getting hurt.

Now, I am not defending what may be individually suspect representations, or extraordinarily high prices. But to dismiss a well-established dealer simply because one finds the prices to be high is silly, as not everyone wants or needs to spend the time and energy required to find the best deal, and especially given watches that are not easy to source.

m84, Rman, thelinendial and 15 others like this.
  13. jaspers Dec 11, 2019

I believe that's more or less what I said above. The later GIF maybe wasn't entirely appropriate though. Suggesting that €500 for a SKX009 is "pushing it" is not dismissive in my view, at least it wasn't meant as such. There's clearly a market for this, or they (and Hodinkee vintage, for that matter) wouldn't be in business. Boils down to who pays for the search costs: you yourself (with your time), or the dealer who will pass on those costs to the buyer.

That Breitling is beautiful by the way!

Tony C. likes this.
  14. JanV Dec 11, 2019

My thoughts also, i bought a very nice Speedmaster LCD from him this year, super smooth transaction and delivery, and most important, the watch was exactly as described.

So sometimes one has to pay a “premium” for the nice ones out there, if you want one. STO is in my opinion not the “over the top” ask whatever comes to your mind for whatever crap you have in hand kind of guy.

He’s watches i’ve been interested in have been some very nice ones. As always with vintage watches it’s all about condition, condition, condition.

574A98F5-B774-49C6-A422-1F6B3CB9712F.jpeg
    Edited Dec 11, 2019
    Rman, amcclell, 0uss and 5 others like this.
  15. JanV Dec 11, 2019

One thing in general that i’ve observed has been that every dealer seems to go thru phases in their pricing policy. Even go thru this cycle in 12 months.

Some times you get a reasonable price for a good example, then they raise average prices after a while and as a result i take my business elsewhere. And return again when the pricing has returned into “reasonable” levels again.

So i see a fluctuation in their behaviour that also might affect their pricing strategy, but if 80% of stock starts sitting on the shelves they usually revert a bit back to more reasonable pricing.

So just keep your eyes open for the good ones and know the general price levels in your region and close by, this will help you in the long run.

I see also a lot of different asking prices when you start comparing between countries like UK and Italy, etc. depending on supply and demand and the sellers attitudes.

flqt-9000 likes this.
  16. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 11, 2019

Just want to chip in here as well and say that I've bought and sold through Arthur more than a handful of times and he's one of my go-to dealers now. He has a knack for finding rare pieces in great overall condition, and in my opinion, does not price pieces up nearly as much as some other dealers in his position would. If you don't like his price, that's fine, but there are far easier targets than him if you really want to spin up the "dealer mark-up" discussion. Hell, there are a number of "dealers" here on OF who routinely (and somewhat blatantly) put excessive mark-ups on their pieces when they sell :whistling:

All the above is off topic from OP's post, but was worth sharing IMO

YurRomeo1, Zapatta, kov and 12 others like this.
  17. Risto Dec 11, 2019

Thanks everybody.
    Yeah, I could make WTB topic and might get some good offers, but I want to buy with an invoice. I am buying a watch as a company.

I wouldn’t call these Seamasters average. The case back is not very good but dials are nice and this matters the most. The case is good, they say it’s unpolished, but seems a bit soft to me.
    I guess photos could lie here. Or not.

And it’s serviced.
    Very important to me because locally there’s no such watchmaker in my country who’d service these chronographs.

JanV likes this.
  18. JanV Dec 11, 2019

Make Arthur an offer, couldn’t hurt. And where are you located if you can’t find good servicing?

19. Risto Dec 11, 2019

Yes. Arthur gave me a bit nicer price. And I am considering it now.

I live in Estonia. Last year Omega AD was closed because there were not enough clients.
    And watchmakers here normally work on wall clocks, old Russian wristwatches, and change batteries.
    They will send you away when you show them Omega cal 320 or better. I've tried!

20. JanV Dec 11, 2019

A quick trip to Helsinki and you have a few good watchmakers here.