Forums Latest Members
  1. AZMO Dec 9, 2017

Hi all,

I've been hooked by the Seamaster 145.029 with blue dial and orange minute/hour hands and orange chronograph minute marker. Given that it's a 40ish year-old watch, I'd be OK with finding a great example with some replacement parts (other than dial), but I have been unable to find a good resource/picture of the original watch to get a sense of the intended appearance.

I thought those here who are more knowledgeable about this watch might be able to answer some questions (I know it's a lengthy email, but I'm new to assessing vintage watches!)...

1. The year(s) of production are not clear to me. I've seen pictures/postings for 145.029s indicating anywhere from 1970 to 1974, and a lot of "circa 1970s." It seems that those listed as 1974 have white indices along the tachymeter, as opposed to orange indices along the tachymeter fro those listed as 1970-1973.

2. As for the orange minute and hour hands, I've noticed that in some pictures the hands are inset with lume and in other pictures, there is an opening in the middle of each hand (which frankly seems more consistent with Seamaster style).

3. In looking at posting, minute, hour, and chronograph minute hands seem most commonly replaced - just by how vivid some of the orange hands are. Anyone have any thoughts on how these orange hands change color with age?

4. If you know of a good picture or description of the original watch, please let me/us know!

Thanks!