Forums Latest Members
  1. jzerore May 1, 2017

Hi!

New member, but I've been lurking for years. Thank you all so much for the knowledge you've dropped my way, however inadvertently.

I've been searching around—this forum, the Internet—all weekend for some guide akin to what Desmond Guilfoyle has produced for Constellations, but for Seamasters. (I mean, I know I'd be lucky to find something 1/10th as detailed.) Specifically, I'm wondering:

- When the rear embossed seahorse came into play
    - When the 6-indentation-grippy-take-off back (sorry, I just have no idea what this is called, but here is an image) started being used, and on what models.

I'm also just wondering, broadly, what versions of the Seamasters were in production at the same time.

Thanks very much!

2. bags1971 May 1, 2017

have you got a pic of the face of your watch

3. jzerore May 1, 2017

Oh, this isn't about a watch I own—I'm shopping. :)

I've really fallen for a certain look of old Seamaster, but there's so much less written about them than the Connies. I *was* in the Constellation market, but the money just doesn't make sense for me; I'm a watch-wearer more than I am a collector, and if I bought the style of Constellation I like, I'd be tempted to swaddle my arm in bubble wrap.

I just want to make sure I can connect the dots between the dial, the movement, and the caseback. Even though the Seamasters aren't as sought-after as the Constellations, I am already finding suspicious watches out there. I'd love to be able to make as informed a decision about buying a Seamaster as I would be able to make about a Constellation.

Thanks in advance!

4. howardken52 May 1, 2017

I'm no expert, but have recently completed my own search for a seamaster. I believe the 6 notched case back is a more conventional way of doing things. With the notches, you screw the actual caseback of the watch off. With the notchless back (which I believe came into play in the early 60s) the caseback is not removable. The movement is removed through the crystal. Seamasters with this feature are generally marked "waterproof" on the back, while the 6 notched versions are not. The sea monster logo also came into play around 1960. You'd have to get one of the forum experts to confirm that.

jzerore likes this.