Forums Latest Members
  1. mamafufu Sep 7, 2017

Hello Everyone,

This is a watch that I own as a pass down from my family. It was fully serviced in 2014 by Omega and with the strap replaced. I was told by Omega service that this model was first produced in 1963. I absolutely love this watch although I don't wear it that often.

IMG_48572.jpg
    Here is the strap that was replaced as part of the service. I was told that it is the only one available for this watch and it is alligator.

20170907_114436.jpg
    My two questions are:

1. What is the typical resale value for this watch? The last service and the strap costed me over $1,000 USD and hope it can continue be justified.
    2. I like the strap but don't like the buckle. Does anyone know whether I can replace it with something like an OEM deployment buckle? If not, any other aftermarket suggestions?

Thanks and appreciate the time.

Regards

2. BenBagbag Sep 7, 2017

Hey,

Beautiful looking watch in fantastic shape. People here typically advise not to send to Omega to have work done as it is expensive and they don't specialize (believe it or not) in handling their own vintage watches.
    You probably have the wrong reference number as 166.099 is a Geneve model (google Omega 166.099 to see what I'm talking about). What does the Omega paperwork say?
    If you would get a local watch maker to open up the caseback it would go a long way to helping us identify the watch .

I noticed that the watch is gold - but is it gold cap, gold fill, or 14kt? That is a big determinant of value on these...

mikechi22 likes this.
  3. mamafufu Sep 7, 2017

Sorry mistake from my part. Case reference number should be 166.009. I googled it and it looks right. This is my only Omega watch and I wish I have done more research before I sent in for service. I don't have any paperwork and I didn't buy the Extract of the Archives although it was offered to me for a fee so all the information I have came from Omega sales/service. I was told the case was 18k yellow gold.

4. kreyke Sep 7, 2017

$1000 is a lot for service.

What did they do for the service? Did they change any parts?
    Post some photos of the lugs. Let's hope they didn't polish the bevels off!

mikechi22 likes this.
  5. mamafufu Sep 7, 2017

Now I feel a little bit bad for having it serviced by Omega :). Below is the description of the full service. I didn't get many parts returned to me other than perhaps the second hand and a few washer-like pieces. Although the description did say replacement of crown but I don't think it was replaced since I didn't get the old one back. They may have polished it. The strap is tightly installed and I didn't want to remove but here is the picture of the back.

"The following is included in a complete maintenance service: Dismantling, cleaning, assembly, oiling of the watch movement. Repair or replacement of worn or damaged movement parts. Adjustment and regulation of the timekeeping to factory specifications. Replacement of crown, push-buttons, gaskets, and battery (if applicable). Refurbishment of case and bracelet to factory specifications. Final visual and technical inspection – including timekeeping, additional functions of the watch, and aesthetics. The cost of this service is $925 and comes with a two year warranty on the movement. In addition to the service, if you wish to have the strap replaced at this time, a black alligator strap is available for $135."

20170907_161023.jpg

mikechi22 likes this.
  6. kreyke Sep 7, 2017

Hello,

Is the caseback gold? It looks like steel in the photos. I'm not sure if it is the lighting or that is the caseback actual colour.

If it is a steel caseback, I'm afraid that it is a gold plated case. You have a nice gold dial which isn't common but not entirely rare as well.

Going back to your question,
    1) resale value for it, assuming if it's solid gold, perhaps $1000. If it isn't, maybe $500 on the forum.

2) collectors like their watch to be original with the period correct buckle/bracelet. You can definitely fit an OEM but we appreciate it better this way. Although the buckle itself might actually be more modern than the watch anyway.

7. mamafufu Sep 8, 2017

The case back is gold. Thanks.