Forums Latest Members
  1. Brad Cancian Aug 25, 2012

Hi all,

Next on my hitlist (after crossing off a couple of Constellations and Seamaster DeVille's thanks to all your help) is to add a Seamaster Calendar to the collection. Ideally one with a waffle dial as I think these are neat. Any thoughts on this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...ristwatches&hash=item1c2aa283e9#ht_720wt_1120Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Redial? It seems that the dial paint is in very good condition if it is the original dial. I think the lettering looks ok in terms of font? Do the hour markers seem a little inconsistent in regards to their alignment or is it just an optical effect from the glass?

Cal, case and serial numbers look ok. What I am not sure of is that there is no "Seamaster" marking on the rear of the case. But could this be because it is an early Seamaster...?

Seller is in Peru (which makes me nervous) but he has plenty of positive feedback. Price is a little high but it looks like the watch has been serviced (which is a significant cost for me to do here in Brisbane!).

Thanks for helping out this newbie :)

Cheers,

BC

2. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2012

I think the dial is original and looks to be in splendid condition. The date wheel looks to be an incorrect replacement. The crown is also incorrect. You are right that the earlier ones didn't say Seamaster on the back.

Here is one I used to own, ref. 2757 with cal. 355 (instead of 353), dial is similar. The calendar font is thicker and looked like Egyptian art deco, for wont of a better description. Note the correct Seamaster crown. Every so often I regret selling this one (to Dennis, who sold it to Kyle, or sold it yet again to another). But I wasn't wearing it enough.

Omega Seamaster Calendar cal 355 1952 r.JPG

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2012

This is a great deal nowadays at the buy it now price , if you want it grab it now.

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 25, 2012

Wait a minute. Did Omega make it in "gold plated case" or gold capped ?

Mine is a gold capped and looks like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and from Omega data base ,

Functions Date
    Case Gold-cap on stainless steel
    Case back Screw-in

5. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2012

Mine was gold-capped.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 25, 2012

Dial looks very nice, case for me is polished too much and movement is average. If the case was a bit better it would be an easy decision to purchase the watch . As it is at least for me - if I were interested in such a watch - it would be a toss up but the dial would constantly tempt.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 25, 2012

I've seen this case style in steel, gold cap, solid gold and gold-filled, which had a gold-filled back, never seen one plated with a steel back, I don think this one is correct.

8. ulackfocus Aug 25, 2012

I'd have to agree here - none of these were gold plated with steel backs. The 2627 did come with the caliber 353, but the serial number dates it to 1950 which is a year or two too early for these waffle date-at-6 models from what I know of. That's one of the earlier versions of the waffle dial as evidenced by the square date window which was only used in 1952 into 1953. Some time in 1953 Omega switched to a trapezoid shape.

9. ulackfocus Aug 25, 2012

Oh, and NEVER believe that an eBay watch has really been serviced. I'd bet half of the sellers don't fully know what that entails.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2012

Pop the caseback off, spray it down with WD-40, put the caseback back on. Damn watchmakers have been ripping people off for years with all that taking the movement apart malarky :p

11. jud Aug 25, 2012

Well somebody bought it. Anyone here?

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 25, 2012

Not surprised it was picked up. All the problems with the watch considered, that dial alone makes it.

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 25, 2012

To me, it's a bad buy.

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 25, 2012

I'd have to agree, what's the point of a nice dial if the rest of the watch isn't correct.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 25, 2012

Watch looks to be gold capped, the "yellow" on the back could just be from bad photography. Date wheel is correct and matches Hoi's example. Crown is incorrect, but probably should be the "bowler" style, again like Hoi's.

Dial is beautiful and movement color is slightly tarnished, but even. For some reason, the cases on these watches let in more moisture than others. The movements tend to be a little more tarnished on average than other waterproof Omegas of the period.

I think the final price was a bit high, but it is getting very difficult to find nicer examples of this reference.
    gatorcpa

16. Brad Cancian Aug 25, 2012

Thanks guys, very interesting discussion. I didn't end up pulling the trigger on this one - sounds like there are a few question marks anyways. :)

Cheers!

BC

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2012

Some were bowler and some Clover like this, There is quite a bit of variation on these, in movements and date windows , especially as Omega transitioned from the 2627 to 2757.
    Don't touch any of these models from India though

MKelley likes this.