Forums Latest Members
  1. Flightmaster Mar 4, 2017

I recently found a gold Seamaster that belonged to my late father-in-law. As a memory of him, I am having the watch restored by Omega in Switzerland for my wife. Although I currently do not have the watch as it is the Biel, the only information I have is the it is a Caliber 507. As the original strap is long gone, I wonder if anyone knows what strap material/color this would have been fitted with when it was built as I would like to get it as close to original as possible.

Also if anyone has any further information on this caliber of Seamaster such as what vintage it is I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Glenn (aka Flightmaster aka the newby)

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 4, 2017

There is no Omega caliber 507. Caliber 570 maybe?

From ΩVDB

SEAMASTER
    CK 14725
    [​IMG]
    FEATURES
    INTERNATIONAL COLLECTION
    DIMENSIONS
    CASE
    Stainless steel
    CASE BACK TYPE
    Unishell (case opening on dial side)
    DIAL
    Metal, with "index" hour markers and "stick" hands.
    CRYSTAL
    Armoured hesalite
    BRACELET
    Leather
    FUNCTION

MOVEMENTS

TYPE
    Automatic (mechanical)
    CALIBER NUMBER
    570 / 571

OTHER
    Cal. 570
    Created in 1958, 17 jewels
    Cal. 571
    Created in 1958, 24 jewels
    Both with central sweep-second hand

TECHNICAL DATA
    WATER RESISTANCE
    30 meters

3. RancheroMaster Mar 4, 2017

The general consensus around here is that it's usually not worth it to send a vintage watch back to Omega for servicing - many people report their watches being unjustly molested and parts swapped out for non-original replacements. From what I've read, it's the most junior watchmakers who cut their teeth working on the vintage pieces. That said, you'll get a factory warranty on the work (2 years, maybe?).

When the watch was new, straps and bracelets were something which were sold separately from the watch, according to the customer's taste. There are many Omega watches which were purchased as a set with non-Omega straps from makers like Speidel. I'd put a watch like that on an alligator or crocodile leather strap, in either black, brown, or navy blue.

Edited Mar 5, 2017
  4. Flightmaster Mar 7, 2017

Thanks for the replies. As for the caliber I was informed by Omega (who is handling the reconditioning- I am not looking for this to be a collectors piece as I want it to look and function as a "new" for my wife's use) that is was a 507. It might be a typo however is it 24K solid gold (not plated), nor stainless steel. I will be finding out more information as soon as it gets back.

As for the strap, I was trying to determine what would likely have been the original strap that would have been supplied from the factory. I can appreciate that there might be various alternatives to the factory strap however I was trying to narrow down as to what would have been customary in the late 50s or early 60s for a gold Men's watch.

Glenn

5. Bumper Mar 8, 2017

Perhaps an 18K gold Cal 501?

6. RancheroMaster Mar 8, 2017

24 karat gold is only used in one watch made by Bulova; Omega has never used anything higher than 18 karat.
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com.au/2007/09/history-of-gold-in-watchmaking.html

Like I said earlier, these didn't come from the factory with straps. They were affixed at the jewellers to suit the customer's taste. Typical options would have been leather in either black or brown, a beads of rice bracelet, mesh, or a Spiedel Twist-O-Flex style bracelet.