Forums Latest Members
  1. Sherbie Aug 12, 2013

Dear forum members, have a chance to purchase a Seamaster Auto Chronograph, cal 1040 in very good condition. Its a 176.005 case, in gold plate, the movement is absolutely pristine (untouched since 1972)

photo borrowed shamelessly from another member, buts its in the same condition as this one - can see the finishing on the case still.

It does have an inscription on the case back , and I can buy it for about £900.

should I pull the trigger?

comments please

cheers, Paul

image.jpg
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2013

Sounds like a reasonable asking price for England. Depends on condition as ever though ;)

3. Sherbie Aug 12, 2013

Condition was excellent really. It has been worn, but no major dents or dings, crystal is very good, movement is in brilliant condition ( screws completely untouched), and as far as I can tell, the case has its original finishing details. From memory, the only thing that worries me is that I dont remember seeing a black box around the data window, and all photos I,ve seen from the web have a black border

does anyone know different? ( I will check again tomorrow anyway)

watch is is in a bricks and mortar store in France, so no real idea how the French watch market compares with the UK, but its in an expensive tourist city, so I guess I,m not going to get any bargains!

cheers, paul

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2013

The French prices are often more inflated than English ones, especially in Paris.

5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 13, 2013

forget gold plated examples. kind regards. achim

6. rick42650 Aug 13, 2013

I agree about gold plated.... a much nicer version of this watch is in all stainless steel with a dark blue dial; generally pricier-but worth it....easier to sell later...