Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2011

I'm looking at another vintage piece, I've got the full auto pie-pan connie but there's something about a bumper movement that seems interesting. I always assumed the bumper was due to a lack of the engineering ability to develop a full 360 degree rotating auto, but having read into the history of it, it sounds like the bumper was actually a more efficient design, that was discontinued due to being too expensive to manufacture.

If there's one thing I like more than quality engineering its excessive over-engineering.

I've been looking around, I can't stand gold-cap or gold filled as they don't seem to have stood up well for the most part, nor have 18k models unless you pay a premium for a top end item. What I'm looking at is a clean looking full stainless steel model, such as this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Omega-Se...=AU_Watches&hash=item2eb70601c0#ht_500wt_1156Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

What do you guys think an example such as that should be priced at, and what is the range from mid to high quality pieces?

Also, would an example such as the one in the eBay link accept a NOS beads-of-rice bracelet like the one on my Constellation?

2. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2011

Bumpers actually weren't more efficient, they evolved from pocket watch automatic winding systems. Both the full rotor and bumper oscillating weight movements existed for over a century before going into wristwatches, but since bumpers worked better in pocketwatches they were put into wristwatches first. Rolex patented the full rotor (their Perpetual) in the early 1930's, Harwood patented the bumper in the early/mid 20's - some details here:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/thread16629.html

The full rotor's efficiency depends on the design of the reverser set-up. It has to change winding direction in an instant, be light and thin enough to avoid adding excess weight and height, but also strong enough to take abuse. If those conditions are met, the 360˚ rotor is a much better system than the unidirectional winding of a 120˚ bumper. Bumper calibers are built to take more impact because of the nature of the banging back & forth. You'll notice the bridges and plates are pretty sturdy compared to many full rotor movements. Still, a well built 360˚ bidirectional system is better than a 120˚ unidirectional system.

Gold capped is 200 microns thick or more. It has to be really abused to wear through. You are correct that a solid stainless case is probably the best bet for wear & tear though.

The watch you link to is a redial which would ruin it for me. That case style (reference 2848 or 2757 probably) is really sturdy with thick lugs so keep up the search. A nice example from the 50's should run between $300 to $550 depending on condition and dial. The subdial seconds examples seem to fetch slightly higher prices, especially the 34x series.

Many Omegas have interchangeable parts which is why you see so many frankens, but the good side of that is many bracelets will work with the same end links as long as it's 18 mm. I put a BoR on my Genève even though it was never intended. Fits like a glove. Don't know how it would work on that particular case but I can't see any issue besides maybe the gap between the case and end link depending on how far out the springbar holes are drilled.

Now for my opinion: bumpers are infinitely cool! No modern watch (besides maybe the 7750 series and their wobble) remind you that you're wearing a part of horological history. The more I get into vintage, the more bumpers are taking over my collection. I have 6 Omegas and 1 JLC ('66 Memovox caliber 825) bumper now. Parts are getting to be a problem, but I'll take that trade off for the charm & presence of a 40's or 50's design.

Paulomega and terryb111 like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2011

When you say redial, are you talking about where he says the face was polished? I was wondering what he was on about with that, never heard of polishing a dial.

4. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2011

Polishing a crystal - yes (which he may have meant), but not a dial. It was refinished for certain. For the kind of money his starting bid is set at you could get a much nicer example. I paid $400 for my black waffle dialed, date at 6, gold capped reference 2757 caliber 355. They come in stainless too and pop up on eBay and other places 3 or 4 times a year. If you want a reliable bumper that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, the 35x series is the way to go. Non-date models are fairly common. Sadly, so are redialed specimens.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2011

Ahk I thought he was talking about polishing the applied metal indices or something which sounded odd. What was the tip-off with respect to the dial btw?

6. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2011

The font is slightly off, particularly the S of Seamaster. The Ω symbol looks a hair pinched too close together at the bottom, which is a typical issue. Be very suspicious of black dials because of their uncommonness. That's a pretty good redial though.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2011

I'm more after something minty new looking, being 100% vintage correct isn't critical for me, but it has to be 100% genuine, I don't mind an Omega service dial for example or buying a NOS bracelet, a redial is something I'm not keen on though.

8. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2011

There are service dials for bumpers, particularly the date at 6 models. The fonts look a little more modern, but they are 100% true Omega fonts. Some of them look pretty good too! WatchCo - in your neck of the woods - has sold a few. Don't know what they have left, but take a peek:

http://www.watchco.com.au/A_index.htm

Items ome00023, ome00026, ome00053, and ome00054 use factory OEM replacement dials. They look right up your alley, especially considering you're cool with it as long as the watch uses authentic parts and looks good. The prices listed are negotiable, and if they do ever update with a new item that you like then drop me a line and I'll give you a reference so you can get a discount. Robert is a great guy to work with.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2011

I might keep an eye on that, none jump out at me immediately but there might be something cool come off.

MSNWatch likes this.
  10. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Aug 27, 2016

::facepalm1::

11. Waltesefalcon Aug 27, 2016

I really like bumpers, I think they are very cool movements.

12. Ritzwatch Aug 27, 2016

I so want a bumper, and I am interested in your comment about gold capped. It was my understanding that the capped is thicker than filled or plated and should hold up over time, if not abused. Is this right? (Ref: ulackfocus, above). At some point I need a nice gold watch to go with a ring my mother gave my dad and later domn to me when he passed as well as a gold college ring I wear regularly. I had hoped for a capped quickset 564 or bumper 354 or such (because, well, more affordable than solid), but if capped = questionable durability, maybe I should reconsider. Thoughts?

13. Canuck Aug 27, 2016

If a capped Omega has been worn long enough, or roughly enough for the gold cap to have worn through to the base metal, there's a pretty good chance that the watch will show the use and abuse in enough other ways that you likely wouldn't be interested in any event. The dial may show use and abuse, and the condition of the movement may be such that the worn gold shell will be only a minor concern. If a dial was a nice original, and the movement not requiring a huge investment in repairs, I certainly wouldn't shun a gold shell Omega! Same goes with Rolex gold shell.

Ritzwatch likes this.
  14. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 28, 2016

If you want a bumper, try a 352 or any chronometre, an early 28.10 is ok too as long as it has a SS case and screw case back.
    2016-08-27_09-49-41.jpg 2016-08-27_09-49-50.jpg

Tritium, Giff2577, tamura and 3 others like this.
  15. tamura Aug 28, 2016

bump
    omega 343d.jpg

Giff2577, GregH, balaja and 1 other person like this.
  16. fjf Aug 28, 2016

Bumpers are very cool. You feel the hammer hitting the springs as you move the wrist. Here is mine, a 2584 with a 351 movement:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tamura and balaja like this.
  17. tdn-dk Aug 28, 2016

What about an early cal. 30-10 like my ref. 2374-3 from 1944

They have a lovely dial that chance colors depending on the light.

IMG_1353.JPG
    1.JPG
    5.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG

18. balaja Aug 28, 2016

I really like bumpers too, so I have already three: cal. 354, cal. 352, cal. 352 RG

DSCN2183.JPG DSCN2018.JPG DSCN2191.JPG DSCN2196.JPG DSCN2237.JPG DSCN2230.JPG