Forums Latest Members
  1. AngusAngus Feb 1, 2018

Hello.
    Seller assures me that the dial hasn't been refinished and crown and back are original.
    Would love to hear you thoughts on this and what sort of price I should aim to pick it up at?
    Thanks!

s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 1, 2018

I'd look for another seller.

kyle L, Tony C., AngusAngus and 3 others like this.
  3. Wyatt66 Feb 1, 2018

Take a look at the excellent beginners guide, which covers so many topics, including black dials, stating that original black dials were painted on top of brass, leaving the bare metal to show through as text, so white text on the same is usually a sign that it isn’t original.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

On p4 @ConElPueblo goes on to say “Being a new collector, I would definitely recommend that you avoid black dials of that period, as they are nearly all redials. Rule of thumb is that if it looks pristine, it is most likely, like the one you posted above, a redial. Also, look out for black dials with white lettering. Have a look at the patinated dials I posted, most of those are genuine black dials and have traits that are common on vintage black dialed Omegas.”

Check out this thread too:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-black-dials-only-lets-see-them.1361/

AngusAngus and dan7800 like this.
  4. dan7800 Feb 1, 2018

Learn to fish before you go fishing.

Edward53 and AngusAngus like this.
  5. AngusAngus Feb 1, 2018

Thanks all, seriously so useful. Slowly learning to fish but there's a lot to know!
    Like you say it seems the norm for a black dial of this era to be refinished. Just spotted the below, seems like a better bet. Although I might stick with something less controversial for my first purchase.

Edit: guessing the case is gold filled. Maybe not

s-l1600-0.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg
    Wyatt66 and Vercingetorix like this.
  6. Noddyman Feb 1, 2018

I think you have merely found a slightly better looking redial.
    This is a 50's model and the fonts are all wrong for this era.
    As mentioned black dials are notorious for being redials so probably not a good one to start with.
    Decide on the reference you like and study carefully lots of original examples to make yourself familiar.
    Posting here first is the right thing to do though, - I went off and did my own thing and learned the hard way with a nasty redial!

AngusAngus likes this.
  7. ChrisN Feb 1, 2018

The dial on the second watch looks fine to me. They used various fonts in this period and I posted some in another thread as there was some question over a Seamaster font. I'll look for it. Here is the link.

To be honest, if you're just getting into this, avoid the bumpers (the 330 series calibres including 354 as an example) and the 500 series like this as they are more expensive to service than a 60s watch with a 550 series, such as a 565. They are also older and there are fewer about.

Cheers, Chris

ConElPueblo, Noddyman and AngusAngus like this.
  8. Noddyman Feb 1, 2018

Thanks Chris,
    Not seen one of these before and I thought the font looked more 60's than 50's, but obviously not. The straight M in automatic also threw me but that also appears to be correct. Seems there are lots of different font variations for these Seamaster, - must study harder :)

ChrisN likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 1, 2018

The case back looks original. I guess one out of three isn’t bad...if you are a baseball player.

For watch sellers, it’s a clear sign that they don’t know what they are selling or worse.

Run away,
    gatorcpa

10. Vicke Feb 1, 2018

Dial might be ok, but the crown isn't and neither are the hands imo.