Forums Latest Members
  1. Dsmith Oct 2, 2018

1C0852CA-488B-4350-AF2E-8E588BB9584F.jpeg 0E966CD3-D97F-4164-BD64-0B92B80C9ACB.jpeg 12E19D58-D4E2-4D3E-912E-6ACC44E76222.jpeg 7E34F21F-2F63-425E-BFD1-52889EB2A3DE.jpeg E169FAF5-5B25-4B50-BFED-D2B4AC9EC5D4.jpeg Hello to all,my first post here and looking for opinions/advice on my new purchase.
    I picked up this nice 70s watch for not too much recently,i knew it wasn't working but liked its style so took the plunge. The mechanism seems to be ok with no rust so i'll get that looked at soon. My question is the case and glass which are "well used",should i look at a new case or is it better to keep the original. I have seen this and would be interested in your options.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/312250877091
    It looks ok and the lines of the case seem sharp. All advice gratefully received.

2. Vitezi Oct 2, 2018

Hello, and welcome to the forum!
    If you read through the many threads on this forum, you'll soon see that vintage watch collectors prize originality over everything else. To the extent possible, we want to know that everything - dial, case, crown, crystal, buckle, box, papers - is the same as it was when it left the factory decades ago. Of course, some of the parts are "wear items" that are supposed to get replaced, such as the leather strap, or the gaskets that keep moisture out, or the crystal if it gets too scratched up to be polished smooth.

So when you ask "is it better?" a vintage watch collector will tell you to keep it original, and say that some of the charm of a vintage watch comes with some of those scraps and dings of a watch that's led a useful life. Besides you'll be adding your own.

But all that really counts is what you think is better. What do you want to see when you look at your wrist? If you love the funky design but don't want the patina, replacing the case is a good option as opposed to trying to polish the one you have. But if you're interested in vintage watch collecting, some of the fun in the hobby can be found by gazing at your watch and wondering about that item's history displayed in all of those scratches.