Forums Latest Members

Seamaster Automatic - Bracelet / Date Advice Please!

1. scotybalboa Jul 2, 2015

HIi afraid I'm new to this forum as I haven't had much luck elsewhere finding out a couple of bits of information about my vintage Seamaster Automatic. It was bought in 1970 by my grandfather and I've been using it for a few years now without knowing much about it. I'm just after any advice about when it may have been manufactured and most importantly what the original strap/bracelet may have been on it as I'd love to put an original and authentic strap back on it. Also when trying to find that exact model on Google, a lot of the Deville Seamasters come up, can anyone enlighten me as to the difference?

Many thanks for you time.

20150702_170536.jpg
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 2, 2015

You'll need to take your watch to a watchmaker so the back can be removed and you can record the case number. Everything is based on a case number.

Tom

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2015

I believe its a reference 166.002 Seamaster with a Calibre 565 movement, made in the late 1960s with one of the last evolutions of the 5xx series movements, a very reliable and well made watch, among the best of its era.

The original strap would have been an 18mm at the lug strap tapering to 16mm at the clasp, the majority were sold on leather strap. The bracelet option would have been most likely an Omega beads of rice bracelet or alternatively the much more expensive Omega flat link 1035 bracelet with 18mm endlinks (530 endlinks at a guess).

This is what the beads of rice looks like:

[​IMG]

I'd get it serviced if you've been using it for years, its probably way overdue as it needs to be done on about a 5 year interval. Nice piece though!

scotybalboa likes this.
  4. scotybalboa Jul 2, 2015

Thats brilliant thanks everybody for the information, I had suspected that the original strap may have been leather as I cant imagine a bracelet needing replacing after a couple of decades as a leather one would have. It has been serviced as It was struggling a little when it came to me but It sent it off for that so didnt get any information back about the movement inside. Great to hear it may be one of the better movements too as I hope it lasts even longer than it has so far seeing as Im so fond of it!

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2015

There's an excellent essay on the Calibre 565's movement here (the article is about 551 which is the non-date chronometer version of the 565 but its the same movement just without the date wheel, it'll be explained in the essay) written by Desmond (@mondodec) of the Constellation Collector blog, well worth a read to get an idea of the movement that your watch contains.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec/movement3.pdf

6. scotybalboa Jul 2, 2015

Thanks dsio, will definitely have a good read of that, really appreciate the help