Forums Latest Members
  1. forms85 Aug 14, 2018

Hi guys, first time poster though fairly long time lurker. Sorry that my first post is a (potentially annoying) question! I have searched first but haven't found an answer.

I recently bought a Seamaster AT Co-Axial 8500 38.5mm which I'm in love with, but last week I managed to put a small dent in the bezel whilst locking my motorbike. Being of a slightly OCD nature, this dent kills me everytime I look at the watch.

I'd like to order a new bezel if possible, but I'm struggling to search for one on the internet (help appreciated!) And I think knowing the case number would help..? Research suggests the case number is often on the inside of the case back, but this watch has sapphire crystal back.

If anyone knows the case number that would be perfect! If anyone know where it can be found that'd be great.

Thanks all.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2018

Please post the reference number.

3. forms85 Aug 14, 2018

The number printed on the underside of one of the case lugs is 86538860. I don't have the watch reference to hand, but can post it when I get home if that's what's needed?

Thanks for the assistance btw!

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2018

Serial number: 86538860

Article ref: 23110392106001

Case number is 055ST1681121

Bezel number is 082ST1980

Cheers, Al

Foo2rama and Eve like this.
  5. forms85 Aug 14, 2018

Wow. That was quick. Thanks so much!

6. forms85 Aug 15, 2018

So after a fair amount of searching, I haven't been able to find anywhere selling a replacement bezel (cousins was my main hope but they say swatch has restricted the sale of the item...).

I've had 2 quotes from omega service centres for supplying and fitting a new one. First was £175, second was £319. Both seem pretty expensive (though perhaps the 175 is a good deal?).

Do people in the know think 175 is a good price? And if not does anyone have any advice on where I can source and fit a new bezel for less?

7. keepitsimple Aug 15, 2018

In the world of Omega replacement parts, you don't get much for £175 supplied and fitted, so I reckon I'd go with that provided you're happy with the repairer. You should get the replaced part returned, so unless it's really mangled up, it might have some value to someone.

connieseamaster and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Mr Blond Aug 15, 2018

Have you tried Swiss time services?

9. forms85 Aug 15, 2018

The part has a tiny dent in it, so selling it on actually might be possible (I might actually post a pic so you can laugh at me for even bothering replacing it).
    I saw them online but haven't checked with them. I'll do that and report back on price.

10. keepitsimple Aug 15, 2018

Not at all - if it were an heirloom, some people would want to keep it with its war wounds, but otherwise if it distracts you (it probably would me) get it fixed - with the caution that if you wear it, it will inevitably pick up minor scuffs along the way in the future.

11. forms85 Aug 15, 2018

So Swiss Time Services have quoted £79 to repair the dent, and it would cost me £25ish for return postage. To replace the bezel comes in at £181 but again with £25 postage.

So the £175 quote is still winning (from Mappin and Webb London btw).

I'm going to think on it, as waiting until a full service may be the best option if it can be repaired as part of that anyway.

Thanks again for all the input!

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 15, 2018

The 175 quote is pretty reasonable, so cost of the bezel plus a bit of labour. You can wait until service, but it's not a part that they will replace free of charge, so doing that is only going to save you a few pounds of labour. Clearly your choice but don't expect it to be significantly cheaper than the 175 at the time of service.

Cheers, Al

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. keepitsimple Aug 15, 2018

Rather than repair, I'd definitely go with a replacement bezel from M&W - and you get the old one back.

14. imranbecks Aug 15, 2018

Don't let it bother you. Don't mean to sound harsh, but if you want it to remain mint, you shoudn't be wearing it. But a watch is meant to be worn right?

A polished bezel like the Aqua Terra will surely be scratched or dented sooner or later no matter how careful you try to be. Of course it largely depends on the wearer and how he or she wears it, but scratches and dents most likely those minor ones will appear sooner or later. Sometimes by accident, other times it happens and you probably won't even realise it until later. Learn to live with "battle scars". It adds character to the watch that is yours. You get rid of the scratches or get a new bezel now, more will come later on... By then you probably won't even care anymore... Haha.. Save yourself the hassle. How bad is it? How about posting some photos of it?

Here is mine. And yes, there are some minor scratches on the bezel too.

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 15, 2018
  15. forms85 Aug 24, 2018

Nice watch! Mine's the version previous to yours, it's pretty much the same but isn't the 'Master' co axial (so the date window has a border and the bracelet links aren't brushed in the middle). I'll try and post a photo.

16. forms85 Aug 24, 2018

17. forms85 Aug 24, 2018

The last 2 are pics when I just got the watch, so the dent can only be seen in the first.

I've just put the bracelet back on having had the watch on a NATO for the last few months. I like it on the NATO, but love it with the bracelet!