Forums Latest Members

Seamaster Aqua Terra Quartz. Keep or sell?

1. Jon_90 Apr 18, 2016

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice, I currently own a Seamaster Aqua Terra (Quartz) 231.10.39.60.06.001. As much as I like the watch I also own a Tudor Black Bay which I love and can't keep off my wrist, meaning I don't get much use out of the Seamaster, recently I've been thinking of selling it. However I was told that Omega are planning on phasing out quartz movements in their watches, is this true? If so do you think over a number of years it could possibly rise in value? Which might tempt me to keep hold of it, or should I just get rid?

Thank You

2. lillatroll Apr 18, 2016

Keep it if you think you are going to wear it. I am not sure quartz watches will ever rise in value so much that it is worth keeping, judging by the low opinion many people on here anyway way seem to have of quartz watches at least. If it is just going to sit in a draw then it is better to move it on.

Jon_90 likes this.
  3. abrod520 Apr 18, 2016

You could keep it for those times when you don't want to risk the Tudor, like doing manual work or sports etc. I don't know if the resale value on these would be enough to make selling worth it.

Jon_90 likes this.
  4. arkstfan Apr 18, 2016

Conventional wisdom says typical collectors really only want mechanical watches and quartz will always be of limited value.

The problem is none of us has the first clue what people will find interesting and want to collect in 20 months much less in 20 years.

Pocket watches went to crazy prices and now many of those desired watches can be had for maybe 20% of what they brought a few years ago. The space really got driven by fad and speculation for a time and now the premium prices really are limited to select brands and models.

I don't have bulimia and cannot read minds but my impression from your question is that you want to know if it is "safe" to sell the quartz model and not regret it in a few years. No, it is never safe to get rid of anything you own if you are going to regret that item suddenly becoming fashionable and in demand. You simply can never know what consumer goods will appreciate in value because of collectors and which ones will drop to a useful utility of a used item value.

If it is going to gnaw at you, stick in a drawer if you don't like wearing it.

Otherwise, if you can find a willing buyer, rid yourself of an item that is collecting dust and eating a battery every few years and use whatever you can get from selling it to purchase something you will actually enjoy whether it is a bottle of small batch bourbon or a big supply of movie tickets, don't waste space on something you can convert to cash and then convert to enjoyment.

showdown and Jon_90 like this.
  5. Jon_90 Apr 18, 2016

Thanks for the replies, I think for the moment I'll just hold on to it, I'm in no rush to make a decision. I do think if I was to go through with selling it I would have some level of regret unless the funds went towards a piece that I like as much as my Tudor.