Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 600 Planet Ocean GMT - no love?

1. Kim Jan 24, 2021

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a GMT watch, diver style. To be very honest in terms of optics I like the Rolex GMT master very much, but the flexing which is often associated with (I prefer stealth wealth), the ridiculous procedure to get one at an AD (if ever) and the saucy premium they ask (even more grey and 2nd hand market) for a pretty standard watch put me off. Other brands also have GMT pieces, but until now, there was always something unpleasant (yes, I'm picky).
    As I already own a couple Speedys, so I'm already into Omega, I'm a bit looking into the Seamaster PO GMT.
    I tried to search the forum, but the results were limited (or maybe I did not a search with good criterias?).

So my question is: isn't there much love for the Seamaster PO GMT?
    If it is so, why?

Thanks already for your time and input.

2. YY77 Jan 24, 2021

3. jb.44 Jan 25, 2021

My father has one and he adores it, it is most certainly less recognizable than a rolex. It has a 43.5mm case and fits his 8.5 inch wrist a little small honestly. I have a regular planet ocean and it is one of my favorite watches, extremely versatile, highly detailed, and I would recommend it if you are not willing to go throught the hassle of trying to get a rolex. Plus, you can problably get two planet oceans for the price of one gray market rolex GMT.
    This is a picture of my PO

Omega Planet Ocean Black 45.5 1.jpg
    Tako Yaki and Kim like this.
  4. Airbus Jan 25, 2021

I got one a few days ago... Posted in another thread. I like it a lot.
    B0B35A59-CB12-4279-8012-DD9C16E4D693.jpeg

Tako Yaki and Kim like this.
  5. guppydriver Jan 25, 2021

I mentioned on @Airbus thread that I think it's a very underrated piece. I think the orange turns a few people off. I've been looking for a blue one at a reasonable cost as well. I would love a BRBO GMTII, but that seriously is the about the hardest Rolex to find (maybe the LV sub) from an AD. I have zero shot of landing one.

I may get flamed for this, but if you want a beautiful GMT that flies under the radar a bit, look at the Grand Seiko GMT's. I'm an Omega dude, but these are seriously like buying 20k quality for 6 grand.
    seiko4.png seiko3.png seiko2.png seiko1.png

Wivac, rcb, Kim and 1 other person like this.
  6. guppydriver Jan 25, 2021

To the OP's question about popularity of the PO GMT though...

It's a good point. I do think that these are overlooked by many. I think the Rolex is such a iconic piece, that many ardent collectors who want a GMT, just hold off for a Rolex GMT II to come available (although much more expensive). I think the Omega Oreo GMT PO also seems to get overlooked by the otherwise PO fans (I like it although the 3 and 9 do bother me on that piece). I love the Planet Ocean line, but they are pretty darn chunky, especially for smaller wrists.

Kim likes this.
  7. Butik Jan 26, 2021

I got mine in December, new old stock (previous version based on 8500), thick like hell but in titanium on rubber, so also light & comfy as hell. And love it like hell ;)

IMG_1145.JPG IMG_1717.jpg
    Kim and guppydriver like this.
  8. Kim Jan 26, 2021

I like that Seiko, especially the lume, which is stunning. But the placement of the crown just seems off to me.

The Oreo is my favorite although I get that it isn't everybody’s cup of tea.

9. guppydriver Jan 26, 2021

It's really growing on me the more I see it. Plus, I really doubt that I would ever make it to the top of a Rolex's GMT II AD list. The PO is thick as thick as a hockey puck, but it may be my next purchase. I don't know why the bezel 6 and 9 seem off to me, it shouldn't bother me, but it does a little.

Kim likes this.
  10. Kim Jan 27, 2021

I might make it to the top as the Rolex AD is actually also Omega AD, but as mentioned before, I'm shying away for various reasons.
    I might visit him though to check if they have a PO to check the thickness if I wear it on my wrist.

11. Newatch321 Jan 28, 2021

Own the gmt black and white. Beautiful piece to the point that I sold my batman, because I did not feel I needed the piece in my collection and someone else can enjoy the piece. Under most people I am crazy, but I only like the daytona from rolex, everything else does not warrant a second hand price to me. Also, even if I love my GMT, not traveling as much and thinking of parting out of the piece, but I enjoy looking at the details to much. Good luck on your search, just wait and you will find a piece in the secondary market to purchase at a lower price. Also there is a bid different in feeling from the strap to the bracelet. You need to try both to understand the feeling. I have the strap version and enjoy wearing the piece. Good luck.

Kim likes this.
  12. Kim Feb 2, 2021

I will for certain look at the bracelet as it gives it a bit more traditional touch, although I might check for an optional strap.

13. Newatch321 Feb 3, 2021

Go and try it out and feel the difference.

Kim likes this.