Seamaster 60 Variant?

Hey folks,

I have what I *think* is a Seamaster 60 variant of the 166.062, but I can't find another dial like it. Anybody have any idea what I've got here? There are no markings on the outside of the case to show serial number or model number.

There are no markings on the outside of the case to show serial number or model numbe

Those markings would be on the inside.

Yes, but my tools are not nearby at the moment. Was hoping someone might have seen this variant somewhere.

You’re certain of that? Would be interested in seeing a resource if you know of one.

You’re certain of that? Would be interested in seeing a resource if you know of one.
Just look at the seamaster writing and compare with the ones available online..

Certainly a redial. Look closely at the text and the quality (or lack thereof) of each letter.

What about the minute track? Haven’t seen that on this reference. I suppose what Im asking is whether the dial is a fake or a refinish. That will dictate next steps. Maybe I’ll hunt a new dial or try to get a better refinish. Otherwise, unless Im missing something else, which I might be, the piece looks gen to me.

What about the minute track? Haven’t seen that on this reference. I suppose what Im asking is whether the dial is a fake or a refinish. That will dictate next steps.

You haven’t seen it because it doesn’t exist. It has been refinished without a doubt. That looks like a minute track from an 1803 track dial. Don’t you find it suspect that the hour markers cover some of the numbers on the minute track? Clearly a refinisher had a printing plate and just reused it. The font is also all wrong.

Maybe I’ll hunt a new dial or try to get a better refinish. Otherwise, unless Im missing something else, which I might be, the piece looks gen to me.

Unfortunately, you’ll be looking for likely a long time. Parts for this model watches rarely pop up. There was a poster from a few years ago who needed a bezel and I think it took him a few years before one popped up on ebay. The only dial that I ever saw separately come up for sale (in the 3-4 years I’ve kept an eye on these) sold a few months ago and I bought it for a project.

A better refinish isn’t really a great prospect. You’ll probably have to pay a refinisher $350+/- to make a custom plate for this dial and reprint. After all that, results will vary and you might not like the final result.

In the short term, your best bet is buying a project watch to make one good watch or selling this one and buying another. Otherwise, you’ll have to play the waiting game. But be careful as there were a few sellers online selling fake parts for these.

You haven’t seen it because it doesn’t exist. It has been refinished without a doubt. That looks like a minute track from an 1803 track dial. Don’t you find it suspect that the hour markers cover some of the numbers on the minute track? Clearly a refinisher had a printing plate and just reused it. The font is also all wrong.

Unfortunately, you’ll be looking for likely a long time. Parts for this model watches rarely pop up. There was a poster from a few years ago who needed a bezel and I think it took him a few years before one popped up on ebay. The only dial that I ever saw separately come up for sale (in the 3-4 years I’ve kept an eye on these) sold a few months ago and I bought it for a project.

A better refinish isn’t really a great prospect. You’ll probably have to pay a refinisher $350+/- to make a custom plate for this dial and reprint. After all that, results will vary and you might not like the final result.

In the short term, your best bet is buying a project watch to make one good watch or selling this one and buying another. Otherwise, you’ll have to play the waiting game. But be careful as there were a few sellers online selling fake parts for these.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

If this is refinished, it would be a best case, because this model was faked, and fakers are very good at replicating patinas, so it could be a rep dial + rep patina