Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300M - Black Ceramic on Rubber v. Black Steel on Rubber?

1. sturosen May 26, 2019

Tried in the 43.5 ceramic model yesterday and fell in love. But it’s hard not to consider a steel model at 42mm and a $3,200 cost savings.

All things equal, I’d go with the larger, ceramic model - I like the bigger dial, love the black body, and visually, it feels less crowded, but (a) the smaller model is still pretty large, and (b) a $3,200 delta is nothing to sneeze at, or, at least, nothing to dismiss out of hand.

Thoughts? Is the bigger piece in ceramic worth the bigger bucks?

2. Omega-Q May 26, 2019

It's not about the size. The ceramic presents itself differently. Besides the size, the big difference is the dial has raised waves as opposed to the steel version that has waves engraved in the dial. It shines quite differently in the light. Additionally, there is no date, so you get 100% symmetry on the face. That is important for some, but other need the date. For me, I would definitely choose the ceramic over the steel version. Good yuk with your decision!

sturosen likes this.
  3. mr_smith May 26, 2019

Honestly this is what's getting me the most. If it was somehow the same price as the SS version, I'd have one right now.

sturosen likes this.
  4. hydrochrono May 27, 2019

I do think ceramic also looks more expensive. The high gloss is modern, and will look new for years to come. It's a tough call but you will know where the money went.

sturosen likes this.
  5. Dohnut May 27, 2019

I have the black SS on rubber and have tried the ceramic/titanium.

Firstly on the wrist the size is hardly noticeable - the black ceramic case has the optical illusion of making the watch seem the same size as the SS version.

The ceramic/titanium is by far the more subtle of the two. The dial is matt with the waves, in relief, high gloss. The complete opposite to the SS version with its high gloss dial and laser cut waves.

Now I was never in the market for the ceramic/titanium version, it was out of my budget but the way the high gloss dial on the SS changes in different light had me from the first time I saw it.

The ceramic/titanium is stunning and I’d wager you’d probably never come across someone wearing the same but the price is just too prohibitive for me. I mean that’s a whole other watch!

Will be interesting to see how prices fair in the coming years.

Edited May 27, 2019
    sturosen likes this.
  6. Dohnut May 27, 2019

I would also like to add... to my mind the ceramic/titanium is not special enough to command such a premium. It’s not limited in production and apart from slightly more exotic materials offers nothing over the SS version.

In comparison I feel you can argue for the premium asked for the Apollo 8. It has an amazing skeletonized dial with the lunar surfaced etched into it and is somewhat limited in production, so offers a lot more over a standard speedy.

sturosen and AntonisCy like this.
  7. JeremyS May 27, 2019

I would go with the SS version. I tried on the ceramic version this weekend. While the added size wasn't an issue at all (it DOES wear smaller), I didn't see anything $3200 nicer than my SS version. The edges of the case were also sharp, which makes me wonder how easily they will chip over time. Besides, for around 3500-3600 you can snag a Longines Hydroconquest Full-Ceramic if you're curious about an all ceramic watch. In fact, you could probably find a SS Omega SMP (trusted sellers) on a strap and buy the Hydroconquest when it comes out--and still be less than what Omega is charging for the ceramic SMP.

sturosen and Dohnut like this.
  8. LM2611 May 27, 2019

Black steel on rubber! Unrivalled! Looks superb

sturosen and Dohnut like this.
  9. AntonisCy May 27, 2019

Grey dial SS on bracelet or blue NATO is the only option for me!

sturosen likes this.
  10. Vega Mike May 27, 2019

Coincidently I was at the OB in Sydney today, and tried on the Ceramic/Titanium model. My initial impression was that it is a stunning watch. The size and comfort on my 7.25inch wrist was perfect.

My only gripe with the watch is the rubber. I can’t help but feel underwhelmed by it. I realise it’s well constructed, but I would have preferred Omega come up with something along the lines of the rubber band used on the PO, I feel stylistically it would have better suited the ceramic case.

sturosen likes this.
  11. FlyingSnoopy May 27, 2019

I had the same dilemma.
    The ceramic one is gorgeous and quite unique and I love the fact that it has no date.
    However it is more fashionable and I am not certain how i would feel about it in two years time for example....
    The ss model is more classic and the gorgeous and well made lugs show more their beauty (vis a vis the ceramic model that they are more under the radar). The huge price difference is also an important factor for a watch that is designed to be a beater and be enjoyed in the sea.
    Personally I would go for the ss one (which I did)
    Good luck choosing, you can not go wrong with either model.
    (Of course in a perfect world one should buy both lol)
    Cheers

sturosen likes this.