Forums Latest Members
  1. vadimo Nov 28, 2016

I just wanted to know your view on how do you think watch will change over time? Will it form any type of patina on the hour markings and the hands?

I watched one review where a guy who owned previous generation version said that seconds hand, the end tip red colour fades into white over time, is that true? I would not like to loose that distinct red.

[​IMG]

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 28, 2016

I don't see why it would age from red to white

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 28, 2016

oh and no Patna the way Tritium would. Luminova is much more stable. Overall I think these watches will stay as they are for a while.

vadimo likes this.
  4. WatchVaultNYC Nov 28, 2016

The 2531.80 and contemporaries are patinating really, really well. In less than 5 years, people will start considering these "vintage", with a new generation of fans. Can you imagine OF noobs looking for birth year SMPs? Collectors specializing in collecting Caliber 1109 Bonds?

[​IMG]

Turpinr, DIV, vitriol and 5 others like this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Nov 28, 2016

I fit this category.::shy:: But I think it's pretty cool to be almost like the next generation of watch enthusiasts

Turpinr and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Nov 28, 2016

Haha, not knocking you. More shocked at how old this makes me feel. I mean I was already in the labor force when this watch first showed up.

Turpinr, watchknut and Jwit like this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Nov 28, 2016

If that happens, you will be the equivalent of Spacefruit for SMPs...

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 28, 2016

Some posted a white dial that aged like this one will last week.

As for the red fading to white... some one mentioned early PO's doing the same. IMHO I think there are white tipped ones for both models out there. Since white tipped exist but I've never seen an intermediate in the process of fading.

9. Ecodelosandes Nov 28, 2016

I have a 2254 SMP, with the very same seconds hand, and i can confirm that, under certain conditions, the red tip will fade to a creamy white. Nothing that a resourceful watchmaker or a simple replacement can't overcome[emoji6] .[​IMG]

Enviado desde mi SM-N910C mediante Tapatalk

pianomankd, Nobel Prize and Jwit like this.
  10. WatchVaultNYC Nov 28, 2016

In my experience the second hand is red, which fades to orange, pink, and finally white over time - likely when spending too much time in the sun. You start noticing these things when you handle several hundred used SMPs every year..

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. _Omega_ Nov 28, 2016

My circa 2001 Quartz/Tritium is developing an nice Patina. But, as others have mentioned, I wouldn't expect that with the later/current models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. mattonthewater Nov 28, 2016

2001 is Luminova, not Tritium.

belok and Ecodelosandes like this.
  13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 28, 2016

Live and learn. I stand corrected regarding the red tip fade

WatchVaultNYC and Jaacck like this.
  14. _Omega_ Nov 28, 2016

I bought it in 2001. Didn't say it manufactured in 2001. Apparently I should've been more clear.

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 29, 2016

While the pre '97 tritium Bond SMP dials do noticeably fade unfortunately the hands never seem to fade as much leading to a bit of a mismatch. You can see it in this pic here, the dial lume is much more beige than the hands. Pity really since it would be much nicer if it were even. As it is I prefer the even SL look but have a faded trit dial (and greener hands) like that put by in case I change my mind.

ps Out of interest, I have never seen a sword hands with tritium, they were all SL as far as I can see, I guess since they are all post change over in '97.

Edited Nov 29, 2016
  16. vadimo Nov 29, 2016

This is the modern Seamaster right? Seamaster professional writing from top to bottom.

I also would prefer if hands and hour markings fade simultaneously.

17. ConElPueblo Nov 29, 2016

IMO, a dive watch cannot possibly spend too little time in the sun :D

The SMP ages really, really well. The large, creamy tritium plots and faded aluminium bezel is just downright glorious. Try emulating that with your new SM 300 in 20 years time!

blubarb and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2016

Fading happens on all kinds of these watches. Just 2 examples of SMP Chronographs...

First one has 3 different stages of fading. The small normally red triangles on the rehaut are all pretty faded out. The sub-seconds hands are at the other end, looking nice and red, and the chronograph seconds hand has faded a bit:

[​IMG]

This one they have all faded pretty well, with the triangles having the most colour left:

[​IMG]

I've seen this on SMP's, PO's etc. Very common issue.

Cheers, Al

19. w.finkenstaedt Nov 30, 2016

Sword hand models are all post 97, earliest being 2533.50 the America's Cup model I believe.

padders likes this.
  20. Camguy Nov 30, 2016

Bought this new in '03. I wouldn't mind if it did patinate a little!

[​IMG]