Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial non Metas Certification?

1. Scottie Jan 4, 2019

Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial Chronometer. METAS testing.
    Can anyone help me get my head around the non METAS certification of my new watch?
    I bought a new Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer this week from an Omega dealer and am really pleased with the watch, lovely aesthetics etc. I tried to access its METAS test results on line only to discover it is not Metas Certified. Omega customer services are next to useless very curt replies etc simply stating only watches with “Co-axial Master Chronometer” on the dial are Metas certified
    Watches with “Master co-axial Chronometer” are not. On looking on Omegas web site it would appear the only co-axial movement not certified is in the Seamaster 300 Master co-axial.
    Their web site states ALL coaxial movements are certified to Metas standards.
    It makes no difference to my appreciation of a lovely watch, but I would love to know why.

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 4, 2019

Because it is not a METAS-certified movement perhaps?

3. Meme-Dweller Jan 4, 2019

It's because the SM300 MC was released before METAS was even developed. It is still COSC certified, and *should* pass the same tests as METAS.

Also, it is not the only co-axial movement not certified as METAS. See: 44.25mm Dark/Grey/White/whatever Side of the Moon 9300 Speedmasters (including the SS/Ti/Au variants), DeVille Tresor, etc etc

It's just marketing to be honest. Every modern Rolex I've seen has better accuracy than the Omegas I've encountered.

Travelller and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Scottie Jan 5, 2019

Hi, the 9300 Dark side of the Moon and all new DeVilles have "Co-Axial Master Chronometer" on the dials rather than "Master Co-axial Chronometer" which according to Omega indicate they are "Metas Certified", must be something to do with the 8400 movement in the 300 co-axial. BMW do the same trick, put a slight variation in next years model to induce sales. I would not be surprised if the 300 comes out soon "Metas Certified"
    Regards
    Peter.

5. Riviera Paradise Jan 5, 2019

Agreed on the marketing, but it also applies to Rolex. My BLNR purchased in 2016 is running at -2.7s/day to -3s/day outside of the -2s/+2s range for the "Superlative Chronometer" standard. My Omegas generally run fast (around +3s/+4s on their factory settings), but some of mine actually perform better than my BLNR.

And to put all of this in context, my Seiko Samurai diver, purchased in 2018 for US$280, runs within COSC at around -3s/-4s per day:)

Edited Jan 5, 2019
  6. balmung0 Jan 5, 2019

My seamaster 300MC run +0 to +6 sec a day... while my rolex watches loss only +0 to +2 sec...

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 5, 2019

The 300mc released pre metas. All current watches go through the process.

Travelller likes this.
  8. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jan 5, 2019

Your BLNR might not be operating out of spec. As explained here by @Archer

https://omegaforums.net/threads/timing-tolerances-a-guide-to-understand-how-they-work.87293/

Foo2rama and Riviera Paradise like this.
  9. Riviera Paradise Jan 5, 2019

Thanks, but the mean rate has been -2.8/s which is OK for me. The BLNR has shown little deviation in all positions, which is what really matters in terms of any issues with precision, something which I have also learned with Al:). To be honest I really cannot be bothered to send it to a RSC for regulation but if I do see any significant decrease in performance I will probably send it in under warranty.

Below some reference rates from my current collection:

JLC Reverso Ultra Thin DuoFace: -4.1s/d
    Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 42mm: -3.7s/d
    Seiko Prospex Samurai Diver: -3.6s/d
    Rolex BLNR: -2.8s/d
    Omega Orbis Hour Vision: -1.3s/d
    Omega AT 15000 Gauss: -0.8s/d

Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000-1JF: +0s/d, Bluetooth connected to my phone, so spot on, but I suppose that's cheating:)

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 45th LE: +1.1s/d
    Rolex Explorer: +1.2s/d
    Rolex Explorer 2: +1.3s/d
    Omega SM300MC: +3.2s/d
    Omega DeVille Tresor: +3.5s/d
    Omega Speedy Tuesday LE: +5.5s/d

PS. In my first post I had forgotten that my 15K Gauss improved its rate from +4.5s/d to -0.8s/d after service.

Edited Jan 5, 2019
    3nicewatches likes this.
  10. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jan 5, 2019

Wow, well you're certainly well on top of keeping track of the precision of all your watches! Pretty sweet collection by the way. My DSOTM is remarkable right now, when I first got it it was gaining just under 1 sec/day, but three months into ownership it has settled down to 1 sec/week. It probably wont last, but still pretty amazing for a mechanical watch. I haven't looked at the effect of positions - I'm either wearing it or it is always stored dial up. So, who needs METAS ;)

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  11. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Jan 5, 2019

Your mileage may vary. Always follow your owners manual. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

12. Scottie Jan 17, 2019

Hi, after two weeks on my wrist for approx. 15 hours per day it has lost ten seconds. That will do for me, I will advance it one minute in three months time.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2019

Store it in another position at night.

time flies likes this.