Forums Latest Members
  1. SiderealJ Jan 17, 2014

Hi guys,
    I have been very interested in the Seamaster Diver 300M for some time now, and wanted to find the best model to purchase along with the best accessories.
    After trying to find out more information on the internet, I have realised that there have not been a one-stop reference guide for the 300M, where one could look up model numbers, year and find variants of the 2500 movements (and understand what Omega has done with each of the variant!)

So. I have decided to put together this guide in the light that others could benefit from my research (and I could keep it in my bookmark as well!) [​IMG]
    It will be slightly messy at the beginning, so please bear with me.

If there is a complete reference guide out there, please hit me and point me in the right direction! [​IMG]

Otherwise, any further information/corrections would be much appreciated! [​IMG]

persco and Shelby like this.
  2. SiderealJ Jan 17, 2014

CAUTION: currently under construction!! : D

I will be mostly focusing on referencing the Seamaster Diver 300M Chronometer (SMP) [stands for SeaMaster Professional] and GMT models. I will be leaving out the chronograph and quartz versions for now.
    I will also be leaving out most of the "James Bond" details, as I feel that the watch is one of the greatest timepieces to have existed on this planet and a mere marketing attempt by Omega should not distract the Watch Lover from the timepiece itself.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    History
    Omega first introduced the SeaMaster 300 in 1948. Although some have mentioned that it was introduced in 1962, the first SeaMaster 300 was actually introduced as a non-date version in 1948. The Seamaster was first intended as a robust yet elegant watch for active individuals who wanted a watch for “Town and Country”. Launched to coincide with the brand's 100th anniversary, the first model to arrive is the CK-2913 featuring the Omega cal 552 fitted with 19 jewels. The CK-2913 has a transitional dial with broad arrow hour hand, stick minute hand, as well as a centre sweeping second hand.
    Omega also decided to fit these with a rubber O-ring gasket, to help improve water resistance under quick temperature changes as proven in submarines during WW2.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First Rolex Submariner (one of Seamaster's biggest rivals) introduced.

okay... vintage are taking a bit more time than expected, will update in a bit

This marks one of the biggest years for Omega Seamasters. Omega decided to introduce a sportier version of the Diver watches, this marks the first generation of the "Seamaster Professional" Diver (SMP) series as we know it. However, it is classed as 200M as it is still resistant to 200m.Other features introduced also include a rotating bezel and highly-visible dials.

Second generation Professional series introduced

By the third generation, omega have finally settled to a design that we know SMP today. They actually feature 300m water resistance! Other features introduced also include a rotating bezel and highly-visible dials.

GMT variant of the SMP introduced

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reading the Serial Number
    The serial number on most current OMEGA Seamaster models is laser etched in very small type on the back of the lug closest to the 7 o'clock position on the watch. Some newer Titanium models have it on the back of the lug closest to the 11 o'clock position. OMEGA reports that they do not always put the serial number in the same place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reference Models
    Interpreting the Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300M (SMP) serial number is relatively easy. The model numbers can be interpreted digit by digit. The following list covers only the variations for the Seamaster Professional, GMT, and Professional Chronograph watches. Please note:

(courtesy of chronocentric)
    How to read OMEGA Seamaster model numbers
    for the Aqua Terra, Professional Diver, GMT, and Chronograph
    Warning: Codes are not used consistently by OMEGA, use this table only as a rough guide

1 Product 2=Seamaster
    2 Case / Bracelet 1=Gold (yellow or white), 2=Steel (Pro 2000 bracelet) OR Titanium (Chronograph), 3=Stainless Steel and Gold, 5=Stainless Steel (Pro Diver, GMT, or Chrono) or Titanium (Pro Diver), 6=Red Gold w/Strap (Pro Diver), 8=Stainless Steel w/Strap, 9=Seamaster Pro 2000 w/Strap, 0=Seamaster Pro 2000 w/alternate bracelet (USA)
    3 Size / Movement Size/movement codes are not consistent, especially with the new models introduced in 2000.
    0=Coaxial, 3=Pro Diver full-size Automatic or GMT Automatic, 4=Pro Diver full size Quartz, 5=Pro Diver mid size Automatic, 6=Pro Diver mid size Quartz, 7=Ladies Auto, 8=Ladies Quartz, 9=Chronograph Automatic

4 Bezel Bezel codes are not consistent by color - they vary by model and case material.
    1=Blue (Steel Pro) OR Gold (Gold Pro) OR Brushed Steel (Titanium Pro Diver), 2=Polished Steel (Steel Pro) OR Gold (Two-Tone Pro) OR Blue (Gold Pro) OR Polished White Gold (white Gold Pro, silver dial limited edition 150th Anniv. Pro) 3=Plain (Aqua Terra), Steel w/black numbers (Titanium Diver) 4=Black (Steel GMT or Steel Pro) OR Yellow Gold (Yellow Gold GMT), 5=Steel w/blue numbers (Steel Diver), 6=Gold (Titanium/Tantalum Chronograph), 8=Polished Steel (Steel Chronograph or GMT) OR Gold (Two-Tone Chronograph) OR Blue (Titanium Chronograph), 9=Blue (Steel Chronograph)

5 Dial 2=White, 3=Silver, 5=Black, 7=Special (such as Mother-of-pearl), 8=Blue (dark or electric)
    6 Option Currently used for miscellaneous options.
    3=Blue hands (Aqua Terra), 4=Gold hands on steel model (Aqua Terra)

7 Option 0=undeclared, 3=Foldover clasp for strap models, 9=Rubber strap
    8 Option 0 or not shown=standard bracelet, 1=rubber strap with steel clasp (Pro Diver) or black alligator strap (Aqua Terra), 3=rubber strap with non-steel clasp, 7=brown alligator strap (Aqua Terra), 8=blue sharkskin strap (Pro Diver), 9=green sharkskin strap (Pro Diver)

So, a model 2831.80.08 is a full-size Seamaster Professional, stainless steel case, with blue bezel and dial, on the optional blue sharkskin strap.

Alternatively, you can use the below look up table:

Year
    Model
    Movement
    Case
    Lugs
    WR
    Retail
    CK-2913
    39mm
    19mm
    200m
    360 CHF

Accessories
    straps
    clasps
    books
    Acknowledgements
    Jack Norman from TZ-UK forum
    AAP - watchseek forum
    Chronocentric

blacktiger, Varasc, Mothra and 2 others like this.
  3. ulackfocus Jan 17, 2014

::confused2::

What's saved for reference?

Also, I'm guessing you're talking about the modern Seamasters like the Planet Ocean, correct?

4. SiderealJ Jan 17, 2014

Hi. I meant Seamaster Diver 300M only.
    I only just posted this to see if people will be interested. If the admins dont like this, then I will remove it.
    The second post is for me to insert the actual reference guide - I am currently writing this in my own blog.

Cheers

5. ulackfocus Jan 17, 2014

Okay, gotcha. Go for it!

6. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 20, 2014

I just bought my 1st Omega, an SMP 300 and I appreciate this type of information. Thanks.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2014

some of this is a bit inaccurate, the Seamaster 300 didn't come out in 1948, the Seamaster dress watch did for example

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 20, 2014

Looks good. Will be reading this thoroughly.