Forums Latest Members
  1. M'Bob Mar 21, 2014

I know...Aldo.

Seriously, has anyone used him for restoration, or someone else who repairs these inserts? I have a restored one that seems extremely fragile, and wants to crack and flake if I look cross-eyed at it. Not sure if this is endemic to this particular restoration job, or is typical when these are repaired. Anyone have an idea how these are re-done; have yours held up to casual wear; and if not, has anyone tried stabilizing the surface with varnish, lacquer, or another synthetic clear-coat.

Thanks,

M'Bob

2. michael e Still learning. Mar 22, 2014

I have used clear resin before to both stablize and make from scratch a bezel insert.
    Here is one I made earlier for a Waltham/Blancpain diver, I gave it a blast in the oven to age it a bit instead of letting the resin cure clear this one has tiny bubbles and heat has strunk the transfers a little, I think it looks period to the watch and is as tough as old boots.
    Tools needed>
    Clear resin (two component mix)
    Black enamel paint.
    Transfers used for model trains/planes
    I used coving adhesive mixed with coffee to create the aged radium 60 marker.
    I apply the resin blobbed onto the end of a cocktail stick,the resin self levels if the bezel is on a flat surface.
    All a bit blue Peter and I am sure some will take the fun out of me but it looks much better than nothing and with a bit of practice I think you will get superb results.
    [​IMG]

flame, Dash1, woodwkr2 and 1 other person like this.
  3. M'Bob Mar 22, 2014

Brilliant...many thanks.

So: black paint, then the transfers, then the resin?

4. michael e Still learning. Mar 22, 2014

Hello.
    Yes, The process is reversible too if you are not happy, it is best to take the bezel off and offer it up to the watch so you can get the numbers/lines in the right place, because the transfers are still wet when applied to the dry black paint you can move them around a bit with the end of a cocktail stick before they dry.
    You can leave the bezel on but you will need to take extra care not to get the paint etc on the watch and of course this is only if you want the resin to cure naturally over 8 hour. PLEASE DON'T PUT YOUR WATCH IN THE OVEN! :)
    I did the Waltham/Blancpain bezel twice, the first time it looked too perfect so I gave it a blast in a hot oven to give it a vintage look, the bubbles just look like patina to the naked eye.

5. M'Bob Mar 22, 2014

Michael,

Many thanks; this helps a lot.

Best,

M'Bob

6. woodwkr2 Mar 22, 2014

Nice work!