Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300 Diver White Dial Novelty

1. oneover Feb 15, 2020

Hello all, I was at my local AD trying to decide on which color dial to purchase for e new SMP Diver. I had only seen pictures of the new 2019 white dial but in person this color is amazing. Side by side with the blue and black it was no contest for me. The question I have is why in the world is it called the novelty model. Novelty to me means like a fantasy and not a term of stature. Anyone know why they gave it this not so special title? F9A6C196-A2BD-4252-B52D-BC01CFFC5863.png

Foo2rama and marco like this.
  2. pianomankd Feb 15, 2020

Love the look of this model. If I was to ever get a "modern" seamaster, I'd go white. Until then, my 2254.50 is doing juuuuuuust fine :)

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  3. bama2141 Feb 15, 2020

In the watch world “novelty” simply means a newly introduced model.

Foo2rama and oneover like this.
  4. 10mmauto Feb 15, 2020

I have always had a hankering for this Speedmaster. Almost pulled the trigger on it one night. (Another glass of wine and it would probably be mine.) I think I still prefer it over the new, white 8800.
    Speedy racing and white semaster.png

time flies likes this.
  5. tmilnthorp Feb 15, 2020

Blame the marketing department.

It's an amazing watch!

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191225105249555_COVER.jpg
    Nobel Prize likes this.
  6. cvalue13 Feb 15, 2020

As I understand it: English translation of French “nouveauté”, and generally used in watch industry to indicate the most recently-released watches (e.g., since the last annual trade show, etc.) - either as an entirely new line, or newest variations of an existing line.

But it still always sounds off, in English

oneover likes this.
  7. KeithS Feb 16, 2020

Yeah, when I hear “novelty,” I think new and exciting for a moment, but ultimately inconsequential and/or gimmicky with time.

oneover likes this.
  8. cvalue13 Feb 16, 2020

in English there are two main definitions of novelty: ‘being new and original’, or ‘a small ornament/toy’. And the latter definition seems more prominent in U.S. usage, perhaps due to the concept of “novelty shops” together with the negative connotations to phrases such as “the novelty has worn off”?

But, the other English definition, ‘new/original,’ is still around even in U.S. English when speaking of e.g., a “novel” cure to a disease, or a “novel” technology disrupting an industry, etc. - which sort of gravitas is assumably the more prominent, positive, connotation in French?

supporting that: when I look it up in French, “nouveauté” has several such usages including squarely “a new product” (or ‘a new work just published’).

In all, it may be that on “The Continent” (in French, but also British English, and with the Swiss), there simply isn’t the same baggage to “novelty” as in U.S. English

oneover likes this.