Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300 CK 2913-6 advice urgently needed please

1. Kevin Burke Feb 14, 2019

Hi Folks,

First thing to say is that I'm no expert - just got hooked by the watch game about a year ago, and have a couple of beautiful watches - a new PP Aquanaut and recent JLC Grand Reverso.

Recently I've been looking for a birth-year watch, with a modest budget of say 2-5 grand. I was born in 1959 and,with an 8-inch wrist, am finding it frustrating that the vast majority of nice simple clean top-brand watches are too small for me (35 mm typically).

Anyhoo... I came across a really lovely CK 2913-6, which will cost me about $10k if I pull the trigger - and I would LOVE any opinion. Size-wise it is a more reasonable 39 mm - so will look great on my wrist. However, the budget is quite big for me, as I have already spent quite a lot in the past year. This hobby can be expensive, am I right ;-)

The thing to know before I get to the condition is this: I'm not looking to buy an investment exactly, I'm looking to buy a beautiful watch to join my rotation. I've don't expect to sell it - but I DON'T want to overpay, at least not by too much.

OK, so now to the watch. The key thing to say is that it has been cleaned up by Omega, and that's what my concern is. I know the mantra is to not touch old watches - but I'm personally OK with a tastefully cleaned watch ...just not if the value has been decimated by it. One day I may want to sell it - and I would like to think I'd get most of my money back.

My concerns are principally with the following changes. While BEAUTIFULLY executed BY OMEGA in Geneva, what does it mean to the value of the watch - as I say, it will cost me 10 grand.

* Lume and dial face in general was left alone, but the Numbers (at least) were re-painted.
    * Hands were replaced (old ones will be supplied - but may be unusable).
    * The Bakelite bezel was re-done (completely fabricated?) by Omega.
    * Case was polished.

BTW, it has an extract from the archives, so I'm satisfied it's legit.

So PLEASE give me your reactions - I've had my offer accepted in priciple, but I told him I need the receipt from OMEGA for the work done, and will probably close the deal tomorrow ...at least verbally.

Thanks guys!

CK2913-6--1.jpg CK2913-6--2.jpg CK2913-6--3.jpg CK2913-6--4.jpg
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 14, 2019

Just buy a re-issue.

This watch has had all of its soul destroyed by Omega.

No patina...no soul...no value.

sdre, S.H., Dan S and 12 others like this.
  3. Kevin Burke Feb 14, 2019

Ouch! Really? Thank you for your opinion.

Anyone else?

To be honest, I'm not a vintage purist and I do like it, but as the investment is sizable - I need to know if the price is right.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 14, 2019

If yo buy this, I suspect you will have a tough time selling it later on. There really isn't much that makes it worthwhile. Bezel, dial, case, hands are all no longer 'original', and will have very little value to collectors. And we haven't even seen pics of the movement yet.

Finding a SM300 from '59 will be a chore, and a decent one is probably closer to $15k.

Mark020 likes this.
  5. Kevin Burke Feb 14, 2019

Thanks you, here is a link to a video of the movement. BTW, it was completely serviced by Omega in 2014, an d comes with a little bag with the replaced screws and seals etc.

One odd thing - the serlal number of the video matches the extract from the archives - except it is missing the "1" at the start.
    What's that about?

Thanks again for the responses folks.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 14, 2019

There is a lot of watches I would spend 10k on before this.

MikiJ and marco like this.
  7. Kevin Burke Feb 14, 2019

Thank you for your comments - to be honest, I'm quite surprised it's 100% negative so far - but hey, that's why I'm here!
    Really appreciate you guys taking a moment to give your opinion.

I know I can buy A LOT with 10 K. Maybe I should stay away from vintage.Or by a simple Omega for $2000 to tick the birth-year box, and stick with modern classics.

My conflict is that I don't really appreciate the purist vintage look. You know, untouched, but badly beaten-up. It's a tricky business because obviously, to get an untouched 60 year old watch in beautiful condition, from a top maker like Omega, would cost a ton of money.

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 14, 2019

Alternatively, Here is a 2913-5 that I sourced very recently. This example displays many of the original attributes which are desirous in a 1st generation Diver Seamaster. Note the original bezel with radium lume piper dot at 12. The hour and minute hands are believed original (and rare) Dauphine versions whose radium lume matches the nicely patinated dial. I took a chance on buying from crappy pics and was delighted when the watch arrived.

B1946CE2-ED44-4EED-9011-28380707810E.jpeg

Dash1, jB1128, Baz9614 and 16 others like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 14, 2019

1959 you say
    39288E7C-FCA8-4530-A341-E24EE84F5ACB.png

sdre and kkt like this.
  10. Kevin Burke Feb 14, 2019

OK, fair point - very nice! But that watch is 35 mm (I assume) and I have a 20cm/8inch wrist. But, agreed, it is a very clean and attractive watch.

11. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 14, 2019

One other potential issue with the OP watch is the movement number vs the reference. To me and others know better, 162xxxxx seems early for a 2913-5. Other 5s appear to range from 166xxxxx - 167xxxxx. They were also produced a year later in 1960.

12. Kevin Burke Feb 14, 2019

That's really interesting, thank you! It is advertized as a 2915-6, but the extract just gives the year and the serial and doesn't raise any concerns. Could it be that it's not a "6" but a 5, 4 or 3? Main thing is the extract give the year as 1959 and the serial as 162xxxxx.

What do you think of my comment that the video shows the serial without the "1" at the beginning???

Cheers!

13. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 14, 2019

My guess is It’s probably just a quirk with the paning of the camera or a reflection issue. Naturally it merits more investigation if you are seriously interested in purchasing.

14. bigsom Feb 14, 2019

To use your words, the value of this watch has been decimated by the restoration in my opinion. I think you will be very hard pressed to find a buyer for a watch like this willing to pay 10k.

sdre likes this.
  15. Kevin Burke Feb 14, 2019

I very much appreciate all the comments. Thank you.

Looking again at the video, it seem very clear that the fist digit is the "6". Seems weird, does anyone else have an opinion?

I'm honestly going stone cold on this watch now. It's a pity, but if I'm dodging a bullet that I am very lucky to have your input. I still really like the watch, but no way do I want to pay top dollar if I can't one day hope to get most of it back, if needed.

Decimated seemed to be the by word here ;-) Great word actually. It's from Latin and it means divided by ten!!

16. Kevin Burke Feb 14, 2019

Well, it's 5:30 am in Geneva, and I need to grab a couple of hours more sleep - so I won't be able to respond immediately to any further comments ...although I will check back in three hours, or so.

Please don't hesitate to to add your 2 cents. I am fascinated - and a bit shocked - by the responses, and very much welcome more.

In the meantime...

Thank you all for your opinions - I very much respect and appreciate your knowledge on this area, I know you guys know your subject!

In brief - I guess I will back out of this purchase, as a result of your knowledgeable opinions. It has been VERY VALUABLE - thank you so much!

But don't stop ....please keep it coming, and I'll be back in a few hours!!

Thank_You.jpg
    Mark020, KingCrouchy, marco and 2 others like this.
  17. ndgal Feb 14, 2019

Seriously the best idea.
    This watch hardly has any vintage value left it in.
    If you like the look and size just get the 60th anniversary edition for about half the cost of this one...

sdre, Dgercp and marco like this.
  18. JanV Feb 14, 2019

So here are my 2 cents.

There is a “1” in the serial, but very faint. I had to play a bit with contrast / light / colour settings to get it to show.

My main question is do you know what parts where returned with the watch from the service and in what condition are these?

As it sits now, I also feel it’s missing a lot of its genuine appeal and will be harder to sell later on if you would want to part from it.

D5F8E2F7-6B6D-4267-8F08-BF893177DA7B.jpeg 93A7283A-B50F-4FED-9ED3-2788148457F2.jpeg
    Kevin Burke likes this.
  19. Kevin Burke Feb 15, 2019

Wow!! Thank you JanV - you found the missing "1". Damn!! I thought it clearly wasn't there??

You asked what parts were returned with the watch after the service, I met the guy yesterday, saw the watch, and the little zippy bag of parts.
    The only things I can remember are the 3 hands that seemed in OK condition, but the holes may have been too stretched or whatever. There were seals (o-rings), and some bits that I can't describe more than that they were components of the movement - not that many, the movement would be > 95% original...I can't me more specific than that.

Cheers!

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 15, 2019

I think you may be missing the point of why some vintage watches are priced so highly if you are considering spending $10k on something where all the main visible components are brand new. As noted earlier, save yourself $5k and buy the recent sm300 reissue. It is an excellent watch. There is no originality worth spending the extra for here.

Mark020 likes this.