Forums Latest Members
  1. timwatch Apr 6, 2019

Second opinions please! I've read a lot about these. Interesting things about this example:

- Dated by seller as Feb 1967, serial number matches 1966 (247xxxxx)
    - Bezel has thicker lettering and rounded triangle that's meant to be from 1969-71
    - Re-lumed minute hand (varying colours), and large triangle?

Any thoughts much appreciated on condition and value.

Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 17.46.21.png Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 17.50.42.png

2. timwatch Apr 6, 2019

Modelled by me today to show the lume variations

Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 18.06.11.png

3. flqt-9000 Apr 6, 2019

Is it missing the t swiss t writing on the dial?

4. Dash1 Apr 6, 2019

Well my first comment would be that the lume is not very attractive, if indeed there is any lume left on the dial.

5. TexOmega Apr 6, 2019

Pictures outside in natural light will help us help you.

6. timwatch Apr 7, 2019

Close up of the hands, and the splodgy big triangle. Any ideas on what's been done to this? Why would the hands have mismatched colours?

Screenshot 2019-04-07 at 12.01.25.png
  7. jimmyd13 Apr 7, 2019

First thoughts based on just the few photos: the sweep hand's wrong; the minute hand maybe a replacement, certainly relumed if it's original. Other than that ... it's a great base for a refurb. What's the full retail on this (price in the fact that the dial will never be "correct" again) ... £4500? Touch more? So, to fully service, get a new sweep hand (and I'm spit-balling on this because I've never needed to locate one), to have the dial refurbished (clean and relume), repaint the hands .... I'm going to say there's no change out of £900. So ... where's the price point? Can you get it at £3500 or less?

timwatch likes this.
  8. timwatch Apr 7, 2019

Huge thanks for the response. It's at auction, guide is £4100 (so + fees it would be around the 5k mark -- possibly a little steep).

Out of interest, why is the sweep hand incorrect? I can't distinguish a difference from other examples currently. I much prefer the flattened '3' on the bezel compared to others, but ultimately would want an even colour on the hands matching closer to the lume on the dial. I wonder how tricky those would be to source and how it would affect the value.

Edited Apr 7, 2019
  9. jimmyd13 Apr 7, 2019

For the sweep hand, there are some photos on this old FS thread: http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/chronotrader/index.cgi?md=read;id=71226 ... look at the lume, the length of the tip and the tail. For sourcing replacement parts ... I think that'll be tough. Take the parts you have and get them colour matched/relumed. There are genuine artists out there who can do that. However ... I suspect that this will go outside most people's comfort zone.

10. timwatch Apr 7, 2019

I spent some time in photoshop comparing the sweep hands of both, and I honestly can't see a difference :)

It's a conundrum. I don't want to [can't] afford a cleaner version, but also feel sufficiently put off this example(!), which I feel is one of my favourites around the price range from my research. Ho hum.

Thanks for your time and help.

11. flqt-9000 Apr 7, 2019

By looking better at the pics there is a greenish spot also in the hours hand. Maybe it has started to fade to the same color of the minutes one. Someone state that in the sm300 the hands age differently from the dial.
    The seconds hand to me looks fine.

12. Dan S Apr 7, 2019

The lume on the hour hand was repaired at the same time as the minute hand was re-lumed.

timwatch likes this.
  13. JanV Apr 7, 2019

I think I see an original minute hand, with rounded shape, and a straight hour hand, straight model. Anyone else share my observations? It has the original crystal, that I could see in the pictures. Otherwise its a not so attractive with a lot or "odd" things going on with it. The bezel is too early for the serial.

14. flqt-9000 Apr 7, 2019

I agree on the bezel.

15. jimmyd13 Apr 7, 2019

I'm ready to be corrected (and often have been) but the sweep hand on this one would have had a longer tip and slightly different shaped spearhead. The one on there is a later hand. It's not a deal breaker. a dozen people might ever notice, and only then with the watch in hand and a loupe in the other. I'm also going to be in the market for one of these and this is one I would definitely consider. They were watches that were used. Seeing service replacements is something that detracts but it also tells the story of the watch. I'd rather have this than a safe queen. No. That's a lie. I'd have this AND a safe queen. That's why this hobby is so damned expensive.

timwatch likes this.
  16. JanV Apr 7, 2019

The sweep hand you are describing above is for the candle stick hands, (long tip). The one on OP’s watch is correct (short tip) when combined with the sword hands like here.

Edited Apr 8, 2019
    timwatch and jimmyd13 like this.
  17. jimmyd13 Apr 7, 2019

See, I said I'd soon be corrected if wrong.

timwatch and JanV like this.
  18. ChrisN Apr 7, 2019

James Hyman will make a very nice job of the re-luming. If the OP is on Instagram, look for @thealchemistrelumer - his account is private so he'll need to approve you and that's why I haven't posted a picture of a big triangle he did, but there is one on there.

James has done a few dials for me and I send customer dials to him as well. Quick service, reasonable rates and his work is excellent. He's in UK.

Cheers, Chris

19. jimmyd13 Apr 7, 2019

Just for clarity, the "comfort zone" wasn't to do with the work on the dial and hands (and I had James in mind while typing) but rather the hammer price.

20. timwatch Apr 8, 2019

https://www.omegaseamaster300.com -- From this amazing resource, it's a later bezel for the serial.

Also I remember reading that Omega didn't run a tight ship with parts, and they could often used mixed year parts on an original watch (so a window of +-2 years should be given). So perhaps an early '67 watch could have a '69 bezel...

upload_2019-4-8_9-43-23.png

speedamatuer likes this.