Forums Latest Members
  1. dialstatic Feb 12, 2016

This came up for sale. I'm not very knowledgeable about this particular watch although I desperately want one ::screwloose::

The seller claims it's from the first owner, and although no papers are present, it comes with original box and bracelet (looks correct, no?).

It's supposed to have been serviced in '07 (paperwork present). He's asking 3500 EUR (some 3900 USD). Any opinions on this?

Thanks for your time!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    GregH and KstateSkier like this.
  2. marturx Feb 12, 2016

It´s a no-brainer. Buy it

dialstatic and oddboy like this.
  3. omegastar Feb 12, 2016

+1

dialstatic and oddboy like this.
  4. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 12, 2016

price is good, although hands look replaced. I would ask for better images that are in focus.
    Even if hands were replaced, the price is good...maybe too good for a BT no date. Very hard to find this reference.

also you should get movement photos

OMGRLX and dialstatic like this.
  5. watchlovr Feb 12, 2016

Get it bought

dialstatic likes this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 12, 2016

If you don't buy, I know someone that will...ME!

Get it, and congrats on a strong find.

dialstatic likes this.
  7. Zuke Feb 12, 2016

+1 buy it

dialstatic likes this.
  8. dialstatic Feb 12, 2016

I agree. the seller's story is that it's an inheritance. He's had an account on the (local) website for a while now, but doesn't seem to sell or have sold any other watches. It might check out: maybe he just needs some quick cash.

In any case, thanks for your help (again) you guys! I found this SM300 buying guide (http://thatwatchandmore.blogspot.nl/2013/03/buying-vintage-omega-seamaster-300.html?m=1) and I have to say, everything checks out as far as I can see.

Two questions remain: does the serial 'jive' with the rest of the parts (which seem to be late 2nd generation with the big triangle dial, sword hands, angled edge caseback and type D bezel).

Secondly, though I don't see any of the hallmarks of fake or Franken dials, I also don't see the T Swiss made T below the 6 marker. That could just be the angle of the photo though.

In any case, I'm hoping to find out as I've contacted the seller for better & movement pictures.

9. calalum Feb 12, 2016

Before sending any money (unless you are dealing face to face) I would definitely spend some energy figuring out if the seller is legit. Lots of people have watch pictures but not necessarily the watch. And if the seller has the internet doesn't the price seem too good to be true? I would also like to see better pix first. Good luck and be careful.

OMGRLX, CajunTiger and dialstatic like this.
  10. omegastar Feb 12, 2016

If the watch has its original glass the T swiss made T is partially hidden by the glass ring, which is not the case with replacement glasses. There isn't a better way to find out then to check the watch in real. It is not common to find a SM 300 with such nice lumes.
    Good luck

dialstatic likes this.
  11. omegastar Feb 12, 2016

If you look very closely you can see a bit of the T swiss made T. Here are some pics of mine. Sorry for the bad quality, but it is all I have. You have to know the all lumes still glow in the dark, quite brightly and when I mean all, I mean the bezel too. So, when you have the watch, put it under bright light and then go to a dark spot to see if all belong together. The glowing is green.
    omega 001.JPG omega 002.JPG omega 003.JPG omega 004.JPG

dialstatic likes this.
  12. omegastar Feb 12, 2016

Dgercp and dialstatic like this.
  13. dialstatic Feb 12, 2016

@calalum : thanks for the heads up! I'm quite careful, and would only buy a watch in this price range face to face (that severely limits my options, I know, but I've also never been scammed - so far). Fortunately, would be possible in this case - at least in theory.

@omegastar : that is one beautiful SM300 you have there. And thanks for the lume tip! I would typically bring a small UV flashlight and a toilet roll tube in my inspection kit. The toilet roll tube is for creating a dark environment when the seller doesn't want me to take off with the watch to check out the lume in a dark corner somewhere. It looks ridiculous, but it works :rolleyes:

gemini4 likes this.
  14. dialstatic Feb 13, 2016

One more question, if I may. The seller has responded and pointed out that on the top right lug (in picture 2, of the caseback) a number appears. The number is V39412

Is this in any way significant? I've not seen it on other examples.

15. watchlovr Feb 13, 2016

Looks like a stock number from sales or a lazy watchmakers repair mark.
    Id not be concerned as long as it is scratched in.

dialstatic likes this.
  16. DIV May 8, 2016

Ok, dumb question from an aspiring student here....can someone point to where I can learn how it's obvious that a vintage SM300 like this is NOT a WatchCo?

17. dialstatic May 8, 2016

There would be several ways, to be used in combination with each other:

1. The general state of the watch ("too new")
    2. The movement (correct calibre & serial number)
    3. Provenance (original receipt, warranty etc.)

OMGRLX likes this.
  18. Zuke May 8, 2016

First pointer for me would be that Watchco watches are newer, so the dial and hands will be made using luminova instead of tritium. When you see original SM300's the tritium ages it turns a darker yellow / orange (see my avatar image). If the watch has tritium the dial should read "T Swiss T" in the case of the SM300's. The same will hold true for other models and manufacturers but sometimes it will be just "T Swiss" or "Swiss - T <25" etc..

19. DIV May 8, 2016

20. Dgercp May 8, 2016

If I am not mistaken, the price is about 1/2-2/3 of current true value. That worries me.
    Make sure movement correct and jives with caseback date, and as mentioned that lume is tritium.

If all checks out, you got yourself a great deal and I would buy it from you for a quick 1k profit :)