Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve in SoCal Jul 15, 2014

Picked up a late 60's Seamaster 300 a while back, hunted down a nice 1039 bracelet and got it serviced. Timekeeping is spot on now and it runs perfect but of course I need to obsess about something so... The bezel clicks are mushy from approx. 10 o'clock through 3 o'clock but click solidly through the rest of the range. Is this an issue with one of the bezel jewels or is the bezel slightly bent? Any similar experiences or thoughts from the group?

[​IMG]

The pics shows the bezel in the middle of the mushy range...

Varasc likes this.
  2. kox Jul 15, 2014

Perhaps one of the three ruby ball bearings is missing ...

3. sulaco Jul 15, 2014

There are no ball bearings on a 165.024, it has a simple round spring or retaining ring and as this is open on one side you
    sometimes have this problem, or maybe it is just weak.
    [​IMG]

4. kox Jul 15, 2014

Then please tell me what these 3 slots in the 165.024 case are for?

[​IMG]
    Picture borrowed from the net

5. Dash1 Jul 15, 2014

Yes the 165.024 has 3 x ruby bearings set into the case and the bezel spring is to retain the bezel in place.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 15, 2014

You are confusing the bezel retaining spring with the mechanism that provides the clicks. This does have the spring loaded sapphire spheres.

One could be missing or the spring under it could be broken.

Cheers, Al

7. sulaco Jul 15, 2014

Ok sorry, it has ball bearings :whistling:, i forgot because mine had the holes, but no balls :rolleyes: and it still clicks. But Al explained it perfectly. :thumbsup:

8. Steve in SoCal Jul 17, 2014

I would guess its wiser for me to send it to a competent watchmaker to check it out and replace the various springs and or rubies. I could buy the parts myself at Ofrei.com but don't want to break anything.

9. VictorAlpha Jul 17, 2014

Browsing through the parts catalog at Ofrei I saw that the replacement bezel bearings and springs seem to be enclosed in a self contained tube (no longer rubies but metallic bearings). The pics of the older 165/ 166.024 cases seem to show the bearings and springs inserted directly into holes in the case. I'm not sure about this but if my perception is right, would the case holes have to somehow be drilled out to accommodate the self contained click bearing?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 17, 2014

Those with the balls contained in the tube are not for this watch, at least the ones I bought did not fit in the holes. Those are part #1298ST0324.

The individual springs and ruby spheres are still available:

Spring is part #085ST0030

Ruby sphere #099ST0029

These are used on cases:

CK2913
    1660024SP2

Cheers, Al

justinz likes this.
  11. VictorAlpha Jul 17, 2014

Thanks for the info. A silly question, but once the click bearings are worn out or damaged and need to be replaced how would you do that seeing as the bearings appear to be crimped into the case.

(Please excuse my lack of knowledge I'm asking based upon what I have seen from pics so my perception may not be accurate but I do find the answers very interesting and educational).

12. Steve in SoCal Jul 18, 2014

I ended up purchasing 3 of each from Cousins UK. I will figure out a plan when they arrive.

VictorAlpha likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 19, 2014

If they are missing then clearly they can easily go in and out of the holes in the case. In most instances when I work on these I place the empty case (bezel removed) in the ultrasonic tank to clean it, and the balls end up in the bottom of the tank. You really need to make sure the holes in the case are clean, and cleaning it in the ultrasonic is the best way I know of to do this. If the balls/springs are not missing, then they are often so jammed up with dirt that they no longer move - again the holes have to be free of dirt in order for this system to work properly.

The bezels on these can be a pain to remove and install - that along with needing to clean the case properly means this may not be a DIY job.

14. Steve in SoCal Jul 19, 2014

I figured as much. I'll probably end up just sending the watch and parts over to you to work your magic. :) Can you send me a PM to discuss?