Seamaster 300 165.024 - Value / collectability

IMG_4337.jpeg IMG_4342.jpeg IMG_4346.jpeg IMG_4348.jpeg IMG_4344.jpeg Hi all,

I’ve been offered to buy a Seamaster 300, but am curious about its condition and value.

What do you think? What should it cost? And are there any concerns?

Lastly, I would like to know what the cost for new bezel, dial and hands would be from Omega? And is it still possible to get these parts as part of service?

I’ll answer the last part — yes, you can get all new parts during a service. But why? The watch you are considering appears to be in quite good condition for a 55-60 year old watch. The lume is even with a nice patina, the bezel is complete. Adding new service parts will diminish the value considerably.

if you want a new looking watch, then either buy a new heritage Seamaster 300, buy one that has already been serviced (or put together), or find an example that is in really bad condition and then service it. Please don’t buy this one and put service parts on it!

If you buy this with original parts, then have them swapped for modern service replacements, you will immediately devalue the watch. Obviously it’s your prerogative but if you do that, make sure you keep the originals safe in suitable containers.

Re price, SM300’s are all over the place. I’d say it’s probably worth £4500 give or take.

If you buy this with original parts, then have them swapped for modern service replacements, you will immediately devalue the watch. Obviously it’s your prerogative but if you do that, make sure you keep the originals safe in suitable containers.

Re price, SM300’s are all over the place. I’d say it’s probably worth £4500 give or take.

Thanks for your input. I think the dial looks re-lumed, are we still talking same value if that is the case?

Thanks for your input. I think the dial looks re-lumed, are we still talking same value if that is the case?

Bit less if it’s relumed but I’m not sure it is.

Based on the SN it is a JAN67 watch with correct bezel, HF case maker...based on what I can see, it seems as a relume, dial+hands. You can see on the second hand spots of rust. If the watch suffred from mold getting into the watch , the lume fould look greenish, moldy. 12/6 dots missing, not very sharp lume edges. Service crown.... nice older resto job, nice wearer for the right price.

If you buy:

Welcome to the "NO DOT" club, your tie and beanie cap are on the way!

Required wearing to all Super-Secret GTG's.:thumbsup:
Edited:

If you are going to have the dial/hands/bezel replaced, you should probably buy one that is in worse condition, unless this one is dirt cheap.

Based on the SN it is a JAN67 watch with correct bezel, HF case maker...based on what I can see, it seems as a relume, dial+hands. You can see on the second hand spots of rust. If the watch suffred from mold getting into the watch , the lume fould look greenish, moldy. 12/6 dots missing, not very sharp lume edges. Service crown.... nice older resto job, nice wearer for the right price.
Thank you for your thorough analysis. Is the 12/6 dots the pinholes for luming? And What should it cost?

If you are going to have the dial/hands/bezel replaced, you should probably buy one that is in worse condition, unless this one is dirt cheap.
What is considered cheap for this one? Chrono24 has them starting at 5500 USD

What is considered cheap for this one? Chrono24 has them starting at 5500 USD

I would not spend anything close to $5500 on a SM300 that was basically going to be converted with service parts, paying additional for service and parts.

If that's what you want, maybe you should just look for a "Watchco," and skip the hassle.

Thank you for your thorough analysis. Is the 12/6 dots the pinholes for luming? And What should it cost?
Yes, I mean the pin holes are missing, one of marks leading me to conclusion, that the dial/hands are relumed.
Getting the unmolested dial+hans will be very expansive. As somebody says here, may be a SM300 watchco more suitable for your needs, if you just like the design of the watch and you are not a collector..

Yes, I mean the pin holes are missing, one of marks leading me to conclusion, that the dial/hands are relumed.
Getting the unmolested dial+hans will be very expansive. As somebody says here, may be a SM300 watchco more suitable for your needs, if you just like the design of the watch and you are not a collector..

Ideally I would want one for the collection and one for daily use (WatchCo). Just curious if a watch in this state is worth collecting, but I guess they aren’t getting easier to find and the value is not going down.

IMG_4337.jpeg IMG_4342.jpeg IMG_4346.jpeg IMG_4348.jpeg IMG_4344.jpeg Hi all,

I’ve been offered to buy a Seamaster 300, but am curious about its condition and value.

What do you think? What should it cost? And are there any concerns?

Lastly, I would like to know what the cost for new bezel, dial and hands would be from Omega? And is it still possible to get these parts as part of service?
Hi mate I would buy this old dial if you’re willing to sell it when u replace ?