Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve1haggart Jun 11, 2016

I've been looking at this watch since it arrived on my door step Thursday afternoon wondering how to improve its cosmetic look. Crown,Movement ,casing and case back all look good the watch has been slightly polished as some point in its life.... I can live with that given I got it at a resnable price.
    I'm aware the hands have been relumed, the bezel insert has been reworked.so what to do ?
    1. Do I remove the lume and leave the hands unlumed as I believe they are original to the watch.
    2 have the hands relumed to match the dial .
    3 remove the bezel insert and leave it alone.
    4. Have the bezel profesinaly redone .
    Open to suggestions but be kind please its my firts week back at work since fracturing my hip .

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    JohnSteed and gemini4 like this.
  2. mac_omega Jun 11, 2016

I would leave the hands and bezel as is - it is a lovely watch the way it is!

Steve1haggart likes this.
  3. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Jun 11, 2016

I vote for relume hands to match dial... As you already know they are relumed
    I have seen worse bezels...I would leave or get professionally
    Done

As I haved learned sometimes less is more

wsfarrell likes this.
  4. omegastar Jun 11, 2016

You could just color the relumed hands to match the dial lumes, the rest looks nice in your pictures.
    Maybe you could wear it for a while and then decide.
    What is a reasonable price, I am curious for there aren't many out there and it is always interesting to know. The last one I saw sold for 4,2 k € with an original bezel insert ( damaged a bit ).

Steve1haggart likes this.
  5. Steve1haggart Jun 11, 2016

6. Fost Jun 11, 2016

Difficult to say on the picture, but are you sure the hands were relumed? If it is only the different shade between hands and Dial, this happen very often on SM300. But it sounds like you were confirmed that hands were relumed, if it is really the case that is too bad because it is easy to make color matching. I will do it again personally...

7. Steve1haggart Jun 11, 2016

I'm pritty confident that the hands are relume the shade is to far on the be original STS can match the shade of the hands to the dial quit easily ,so I'm happy this is an easy fix as for the bezel I'm going to leave this as is I don't see any value in getting this professional redone. All in all the watch it in good condition gaining about 2-3 seconds in a 24hr period .

8. Dash1 Jun 11, 2016

If your sending it to STS for a service get them to match the hands to the (lovely) dial lume as there is no extra charge for that.

9. Steve1haggart Jun 11, 2016

Hi ash,
    Thanks for that info, I was speaking to Simon on Friday with regards to getting the movment overhauled I'll Bering this up on Monday when I speak to him again .

Cheers

10. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jun 11, 2016

fantastic sm300 you got there! enjoy and wear in good health (and hope the hip heals fast) :thumbsup:

11. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 11, 2016

Nice pickup Steve. Enjoy your 165.014-64!

12. Steve1haggart Jun 11, 2016

Hi Marc ,
    It actually looks better in the flesh that the photos , but I've got to do something we them hands , I'm heading down the lines when it in for a servise in going to get STS to match the hands to the dial .
    Just a wee heads up I'll be visiting NYC in November for 5 days might catch up for a coffee if your free ?

gemini4 likes this.
  13. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jun 12, 2016

I say leave everything alone except for perhaps changing the strap to an Omega bracelet. Here's mine:

image.png
  14. Steve1haggart Jun 12, 2016

Lovely example of a 300 you have there . I purchased the watch head only , I fitted a genuine 1960 tropic strap that was widly used by divers in the 60-70s on the seamasters and submarine's .

15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 12, 2016

Free Coffee? Absolutely! ::psy::