Forums Latest Members
  1. Para Jul 29, 2017

Hey,

long time lurker here. Please excuse my poor english as I´m not a native speaker and my limited lingo as I´m only a aspiring horologist ;-)

I´m a huge fan of Omega watches, always been, always wanted a Speedmaster - like many do.
    By a streak of luck I inherited a Seamaser 300 from 1964.

I went to a Omega store in Germany to get their opinion.
    The clerk said I shouldn´t do anything with it, not service it, not send it in for service. They checked the
    deviation for free and said it would run perfect.

A knowledgeable friend of a friend stated, that the glas / dials / inlay and crown seems to be changed.

As of now I only made crude cellphone pictures. If there is any appreciated interest I could take some better pics.

The watch came with it´s box and guarantee papers. Unfortunately someone put some tape on the box, just over the logo.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

So what should I do? Some better pictures probably ;-)
    Get a extract of archives ? Get a proactive service ?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

Edited Jul 29, 2017
    mikechi22, omegastar and bazamu like this.
  2. jumpingsecond Jul 29, 2017

If it were me I'd get it opened and checked out by someone who knows these watches, then service as needed and wear the hell out of it!

Mark020 and Para like this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 29, 2017

Do you want to sell it?

Keep it?

That is a kick ass watch that is worth a pretty penny.

Para and Dero13 like this.
  4. Oku Jul 29, 2017

First of all, congrats!

::facepalm1::
    That is the same like "Service history unknown but watch runs great" in the selling corners.
    If the watch wasn't serviced for years, the movement is usually dry. That makes the watch run very well, but it ruins the movement if you wear it.
    So if you want to wear it, get it serviced but not by Omega.
    There are some very good watchmakers in Germany who can do that for you.

Para likes this.
  5. Para Jul 30, 2017

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Made some more pictures. Man that is hard...

[​IMG]

The glas is quite scratched.
    On the bezel at the 5min mark there is some schmoo. I´m too affraid to clean it. I read that it is quite fragile and
    don´t know what to use for cleaning.

Thoughts on the Crown?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I´m not planning to wear it regularly. Maybe once or twice a year for a wedding.

So if I´m not going to wear it, I can just let it sit?

Not considering selling it either- guess I would hate myself in a couple of year.
    Beside that I really have no idea pricewise - the endwoment effect would kick in hart probably ;-)

Maybe I will treat myself with a brand new SM300 when I get my masters degree. - Would make a pretty couple in the years to come.

Mark020, omegastar and gemini4 like this.
  6. Croweater Jul 30, 2017

Lucky man,beautiful watch.

Para likes this.
  7. Edward53 Jul 30, 2017

Mann, das gibt's ja nicht! You have just inherited a superb example of the Holy Grail of Seamaster collecting. Can I have some of that luck, please? :thumbsup:

Don't try to clean the bezel or do anything. As mentioned above, there are good independent watchmakers who can service your watch and maintain its originality and outstanding condition. Please be very patient and take your time researching to find the right person.

Para likes this.
  8. cell1010 Jul 30, 2017

Great watch. Looks really nice and seems to be in pretty decent condition too. Congratulations and I would still recommend to get it serviced at an skilled independent watchmaker who is used to valuable vintage watches...

Para and mikechi22 like this.
  9. Para Jul 30, 2017

Wow, geeting huge reply - thanks!

I´m glad that the Omega clerk did not take my semi-serious offer of trading it in for a brand new Speedmaster back then ::shy::

10. bokbok Jul 30, 2017

That would have been a bad move the new stuff does not compete with the vintage Omega's[emoji23]