Forums Latest Members
  1. wilson1811 Aug 23, 2016

Hi,

My first post here after a month or so of lurking and researching 1962 Seamaster 30's. I am in love with the pictured watch, even more so after seeing it in person.
    SM30_125_1962.jpg
    Looking at it through a loupe there is the original omega stamped glass and original dial (not re-painted). Nice sharp edges and will come with a BOR rose gold bracelet.

It is in full working order, recently serviced and 1 years warranty from the dealer.

It is from a reputable watch dealer/collector and enthusiast with 30 years worth of experience dealing Vintage watches, who showed me what to check for, WRT over-polishing, leaking, taking the back off etc to make sure I was comfortable in what I was buying. He is also a family friend so, there is some mutual trust.

However I am struggling to find another rose gold plated 125 that I can compare for a good deal on price.

Seller is asking for £850 ($1121), which is with a discount. Now I don't mind overpaying slightly because I love the watch, but is this a reasonable price?

Thank you in advance for your input!
    Regards,
    wilson1811

2. François Pépin Aug 23, 2016

Hello,

On the one side, it seems much too expansive to me - but we need other pics to make a clear idea. But on the other side, condition seems good, you trust the seller and the watch has been serviced - with a warranty.

I would try to negociate even if you already have a discount. I do not really think it is a friendly price for a gold plated SM with a cal 30. Even if the condition is very good. But, again, one would need other pics to make an opinion.

3. dx009 Aug 23, 2016

It is indeed expensive... Very good condition but still expensive.

Are you sure that's rose gold ? It looks more like normal yellow gold with perhaps a small tint of patina or so... Maybe it's the picture...

wilson1811 likes this.
  4. wilson1811 Aug 23, 2016

I was thinking to offer £650 but I also do not want to insult a friend.

5. François Pépin Aug 23, 2016

I would not want either to insult a friend, but 650 £ is a much fair price - and it remains rather high so to my opinion not a big deal to offer that.

wilson1811 likes this.
  6. wilson1811 Aug 23, 2016

I am unsure from the Omega heritage site if there is even a rose gold version, it was simply the description the seller gave me when we compared it to a yellow gold watch side by side. You could well be right and I have interpreted it wrong and it was simply a way of describing the "not-so-yellow" gold colour of the watch.

Thanks for your reply.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2016

If that is the reference number, then yes this came in pink gold plate as well as yellow gold.

Cheers, Al

wilson1811 likes this.
  8. wilson1811 Aug 23, 2016

Thanks.

Any idea if pink gold is more/less rare than yellow?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2016

I think you answered your own question already...

"However I am struggling to find another rose gold plated 125 that I can compare for a good deal on price."

Cheers, Al

wilson1811 likes this.
  10. wilson1811 Aug 23, 2016

:)

That's why I ended up asking about the £850 mark, if it's worth that due to the condition/rarity. It's my first purchase so I don't want to be put off by feeling like I have massively overpaid.

11. dx009 Aug 23, 2016

Rose gold will always be rarer than yellow gold, especially in the case of vintage watches. Rose gold, in my opinion, went into mainstream only for a few decades, at most.

I still believe that 850 pounds is a lot but, if you like it and if you can afford it go for it. If I had the money and I really liked it perhaps I'd get it since it is: serviced, in very good condition (not sure if reconditioned or fully original though) and comes from someone close that might be more trusty than a stranger.

Do you have more pictures of it ? I wonder whether that dial is original or it has been redialed or suffered some restaurations... It's so clean... and no patina on it... just a thought.

12. wilson1811 Aug 23, 2016

Thanks man. I am hoping to get some more pics soon.