Forums Latest Members
  1. RedPhil May 3, 2017

Hi all, been a while since my initial post on here asking for advice in sourcing a '60s Seamaster. Since then I've read around the forum, done some more research and tried to take the advice to be patient. Didn't last too long I'm afraid before I succumbed to temptation - I found a Seamaster 30 with linen dial, cal 269, case ref 14389 in a local antique market. Case was a bit worn, don't mind that, the dial pretty clear and I was able to view the movement which also looked clean.
    Again taking advice from other threads on here I sent the watch off to Simon Freese for a service and clean. Was expecting the crystal to be replaced but Simon managed to restore the original. Got it back today and it looks and runs superbly. Can't resist posting a photo or two
    20170503_135329.jpg 20170503_135141.jpg

I've been running it since it arrived about 10 1/2 hours ago and it hasn't as far as I can tell lost a second. Against all advice I did wind it and run it for a couple of days before I had it serviced and it consistently lost 45 seconds in 24 hours.
    So, long winded introduced aside, here's my question, is there a way I can set the second hand. It doesn't stop when the crown is pulled out.

Also excuse to give big ups to Simon Freese, nice bloke to do business with and great craftsmanship.

Edward53 likes this.
  2. BenBagbag May 3, 2017

One idea would be to let it run out of steam and then start winding it when the second hand lines up with the actual time.

3. DON May 3, 2017

When a second stops when crown is pulled out is called a hack seconds. What happens when the crown is pulled out is a fine wire (or anything for that matter) rests against the balance to stop it's motion.

That movement does not have a hacking seconds. Not sure if any Omega movements had them. Even the military

DON

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 3, 2017

On the SC version and IF the friction of canon pinion is good, you can pull the crown out then hold backward a bit, you can see the second hand jerks back or stop for a while (watchmakers don't recommend doing that, I guess)

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. François Pépin May 3, 2017

The 269 does not have a stop second device, so there is no regular way to stop the sec hand to set the time.

You could slightly turn the hours and minutes hands anti clockwise to stop the seconds hand when setting the time. If the cannon pinion is fitted tigh enough, it should work, at least not at full wind. But do not have the sec hands move anti clockwise.

But if I were you, I would wait until the watch stops and set the time at that moment. (Actually, if I were you I would not worry about timing the sec hands, but that is just me!)

EDIT: I did not see Hoipolloi message before posting mine.