Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 30 "black face"redial/Franken - ready to be torn apart but please be kind

1. Romualdo Dec 5, 2016

Just joined the group yesterday & said my welcomes
    I've attached a few images of a black face Seamaster 30 I was given as a gift over 4 years ago
    After some recent online research I've realised that this is highly likely to be a redial/franken job - plus many black face seamasters we see today are redials
    I've been too polite to ask where they obtained it from.
    Details: had it serviced (internal codes obtained but not photographed) & actually had the crown replaced with an omega one - was difficult to find an original one (one originally on the watch when I received it was not original AFAIK - no omega logo - do all omega watch crowns have the omega symbol on them??)
    Cal. 268
    Serial movement 18,682,338
    Caseback 125.007-63
    Case 34.5mm, lugs 18mm
    Is the caseback number a mismatch with the movement - I know that the seamaster 30 range did use cal. 268 but the serial movement # fits with 1961. Does the -63 on the caseback mean it was assembled in 1963?
    Looking at the pics there are quite a few suspicious anomalies & signs of crappy (re)work
    The paint-job on the second hand
    The hour markers (lume plots - is that what you call them?) at 5 & 7 are different from the others
    The 1 & 2 of the 12 look different.
    Does the omega symbol look a bit dodgy
    Were Dauphine hands used on these Seamasters?
    This was probably a white face that has been given a makeover.
    I sure many of you will find more redial issues.
    I know the purists will cringe but I quite like it (& it was a gift) - have had quite a few compliments from strangers (of course not in the know) when I have worn it. BTW It's running very well since it's service.
    Next time I'll pick an original one myself - probably on this forum (safest bet IMHO)
    I have a fondness for black faced omegas especially with the sub-second dial. IMG_2053a.jpg DSCF4508a.jpg DSCF4502a.jpg DSCF4509a.jpg

2. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2016

If I were looking at buying a Seamaster 30, I'd probably pass on this one because my Spider Sense tells me it's a redial. Something about the ink just looks too sloppy to be original.

3. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 6, 2016

Given that the word "SWISS" is ... Ahem .... actually printed upside down, ... I'm leaning towards redial ...:D:D

::facepalm1::

... But Dennis' post was also pretty good... :thumbsup:

Edited Dec 6, 2016
    Jwit, kkt, Giff2577 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Pvt-Public Dec 6, 2016

The 5 and 7 indices have the cut out for lume, and the rest don't. Hmmm.

5. cwindham Dec 6, 2016

If YOU like it then by all means wear it. The normal joe wouldnt be able to notice unless he is a member here on OF.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 6, 2016

Custom one-of-a-kind Omega, looks great on the wrist, gift from someone special... and tells time too?

What's not to like!;)

ahartfie, ulackfocus and Fritz like this.
  7. thatonewatchdude Dec 6, 2016

swiss wade, only the finest watches are swiss wade.

8. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2016

Guys, the SWISS MADE appears that way because of the effect of the sloped crystal edge. It must have some alcohol on it. :p

ralpher, Jwit, redpcar and 1 other person like this.
  9. ConElPueblo Dec 6, 2016

Honestly, I guess I could live with that redial, it wouldn't drive me mad...

The condition of the case, however..!

10. redpcar Dec 6, 2016

Gift? Hell yes! Wear it with pride. Looks good on the wrist just gets beaten up under magnification.

11. kkt Dec 6, 2016

And, through the magic of the internet, the alcohol ended up in my bloodstream confusing my vision...