Forums Latest Members
  1. bradhan Jul 26, 2017

Hello everyone,

First post on the forum. I was up all last night looking through various threads trying to gain knowledge. After that, something just seems off. The font in Omega and Automatic seems slightly off, and the spacing of the words as well. The I in automatic falls too far to the left of the A in Omega based on what I've learned. I'm also weary of the Seamaster script and the spacing of the inner minute ring. I've noticed the indices generally extend into the minute ring but on this one they don't. They also seem slightly off from the indices at points.

Would love to hear the thoughts of someone with more knowledge than me as I'm sort of agonizing over whether to pull the trigger here. Has original Omega strap, what appears to be the original clover crown and was recently serviced so I'm really only worried about the dial.

It's being represented as untouched but patina'd with age.

Thanks again![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. fjf Jul 26, 2017

From here I agree with you. I vote redial.

3. bradhan Jul 26, 2017

Appreciate your eye. You're confirming my instincts to back away from it. For my own future ability, what is standing out to you as a redial here? Anything I missed or the reasons I mentioned? I feel like part of it is always going to come down to "feeling" as well.

4. Edward53 Jul 26, 2017

I think that is an old redial by Omega. I would expect the S in Seamaster to be the elongated coathanger shape for an original dial of this vintage and this one is the more rounded later style S. You wouldn't expect that from a modern redialer trying to copy the original dial, but you might from Omega bringing it into line with current practice in the 60s.

5. bradhan Jul 26, 2017

Hmm that's an interesting idea and your reasoning makes sense to me. Does something like that affect value as much as a modern redial (or a bad redial)? I trade frequently and while I feel a lot of love for this I know if I pick it up it'll probably move on eventually. Trying to figure out if my trade is fair to me (watch worth about $700) but not sure of the value here. I see this reference all over the map from $600 to $1800 and none of those were gold capped which is throwing me as well.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 26, 2017

Gold capped cases are typically at the bottom of the value chart. Add in the fact that this one is well worn showing what appears to be complete loss of gold along several areas on the lug edges drops the value even further.

7. bradhan Jul 26, 2017

Thank you XJR, I think that tells me what I need to know. I'm going to hold off on the trade as I think his value is slightly too high for this piece. I'll see if maybe I can pull a cash deal for a lower value. Even with all the things off about this something kind of speaks to me. If I can work a cash deal I'll hold onto it for my own wearing. In the end we buy watches not for others but for ourselves right?

8. Edward53 Jul 26, 2017

Personally I would let it pass. Here's how the psychology of self-deception works: you have recently realised that older vintage Omegas are a good thing. This (I'm guessing) is either one of the first ones you've looked at, or the first you've actually been offered and because it's made vintage Omegas real for you, it's created a much stronger impression than it deserved to. Your mind forms the chain of thought: vintage Omegas are a good thing = here's a vintage Omega I could actually own = it is a good thing = I would like to own it. But your mind isn't doing you any favours here, as this is a pretty mediocre example. There are much better ones out there.

Of course I may be talking complete bullshit, but it's your call and your money.

9. bradhan Jul 26, 2017

I don't think that's bullshit at all, I think that was me when I got into watches in general as well. You've got a very good point there. I tend to jump on things based on emotional response to them. Better to wait and spend more on a better example.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm liking my time on this forum so far, nice folks with good info.