Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 10, 2016

Here is a little watch I picked up "accidentally" in a job lot.

This is the watch:
    P5100009-002.jpg
    I am pretty sure this isn't worth much - it does not run. The balance swings, and it is missing a second hand.

It is a snap back, and calibre 470

P5100004-003.jpg P5100006-003.jpg
    I hate the idea of not seeing this little watch not run. (OCD)

This is way out of my knowledge area, but I thought it might help me dig up some watchmakers in the Wife's hometown to see how they go, with a view to using them for better watches.

Anyone have an idea of a Watchmaker in Chicago area (north suburbs even) - that might fix it up? Supply a hand?

I am not looking spend (much) money on this, looking for a watchmaker who works out a box, rather than a BSD watchmaker.

Any comments on the watch welcome, or ideas how old it is and if the dial is original?

Appreciate any input on this, because my OCD is driving me nuts. The sensible part of me wants to stick it away and forget it.

But then I know its there....

oddboy likes this.
  2. DON May 10, 2016

It's a redial, but don't know why you think it's not worth much. People are paying crazy prices for Omega watches and it's a nice little auto.

Movement looks clean, so probably just needs a service and hand. Maybe new crystal (generic fine) and light case polish

Gte it fixed and pop it on the sales corner and use money for something else

DON

JohnSteed and Spacefruit like this.
  3. ConElPueblo May 10, 2016

Your out-of-comfort-zoneness shows :D

The movement number (hidden in your shot) will tell you the age, it's probably a caliber 470 from around 1957-1960, at least that when my girlfriend's 2628-13 is from.

These are a bit smaller than the ordinary Seamasters of that era, 32-33mm or so. I have noticed that when they show up for sale, they are generally in a better condition than "ordinary" Seamasters of similar age, which I guess have to do with the smaller size, thinking that they have been/are used as women's watches. Yours is a redial, but the case looks great.

IMO, if you were to sell it, I'd stick it on eBay at once and not service it. The people who will pay more a serviced watch are more likely to be put off by the redial - at least that's my take. Perhaps I'd get a replacement second hand fitted (and definitely get the case a going-over with some polishing cloth), but not more. Unserviced, but with light polish and new seconds hand - and a good description - I believe you'd be looking at something around $400, probably more. As DON says, if it says "Omega Seamaster" on the dial, people will bid on it.

Here's one that has been redialed tooPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network.

...Wait, did I just give Spacefruit advice?!? :eek:

Spacefruit and oddboy like this.
  4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 10, 2016

I honestly think that no member of this forum would want to buy this watch, your best bet would be ebay, listed as is for repair or parts, and of course disclose the awful redial to prevent possible disputes later on.
    If I had picked it up in a job lot and it owed me next to nothing, it would be heading to the local charity shop.

5. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! May 10, 2016

Great case! I would try to hunt down a new dial for it. The 2828 caliber 470 is the first full rotor automatic Seamaster for what that's worth. Here is one that I brought back to life. image.jpeg
    Someone had retrofitted it with a Quartz movement but I liked the textured dial that I could barely see through the scratched Crystal. I fitted it with a 470 and NOS hands and crown. I would agree not to spend too much bringing your's back to life as they are rather small.

As an aside. Your redial is not too bad. My avitar is a close up of a "redialed" 2828 470.

Edited May 10, 2016
    Spacefruit and ChrisN like this.