Forums Latest Members
  1. kosmar May 11, 2018

Hi! (first post)
    I wasn’t able to find out here, elsewere or on omegas vintage database - hope i didn’t miss anything:

I came across a quite attractive black dial subseconds Seamaster with a 344 bumper movement and a 13.xxx.xxx serial, which dates to 1952, right?
    It is denoted as a reference 2576-7

upload_2018-5-11_9-26-38.png

I am far from being an expert, hence i went to post this here for verification:

While i cannot say that it looks redialed at first my look, the dial configuration with these rhobus shapes at 3/6/9/12 is unknown to me and the hands seem a bit uncommon.
    For the script logo: I am unsure if the sharp S appears as early as ’52 and is combined with the short r at any time?
    On the bottom the dial has SWISS without MADE. What about that?

The crown seemed the right one and besides the case looking quite overly polished to me (what do you say?), i wanted to find out more.

So i looked for comparison and maybe my search strategy is not the best, but the only other watch i could dig up with a similar dial is this silver one:

upload_2018-5-11_9-28-30.png

Those hands are different here —the model being denoted as 2676-19 with a 13.xxx.xxx movement number it should be made in the same months.

Please note how the 12 is actually differently done,
    also the type looks quite different:
    - i am doubtful about the straight M in the logo (did it exist?).
    - the whole Seamaster script, to be honest – i don’t know how to date the round S either way, but the script looks weird being totally out of usual in so many ways – or do you think that can be authentic?

So I am stuck with confirming a doubtful dial by comparing it to another doubtful one.

What do you think, am i too concerned about nothing with either of these two examples?
    I am thankful for all hints, opinions, comments, thoughts and pictures.

Edited May 11, 2018
    Pj32 likes this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 11, 2018

I too am no expert, but the silver one screams 'redial' ...so I wouldn't use that as a reference.

Great first post, welcome to the OF, I am certain an expert will be along shortly...

Edited May 11, 2018
  3. kosmar May 11, 2018

just noticed this one in another thread
    upload_2018-5-11_10-54-31.png

4. chipsotoole May 11, 2018

Welcome to the OF. Very interesting dial on this one.first impressions: It simply looks too clean to have survived from the 50's, the case has also seen some grinding and lost it's sharpness. I don't know if they're original (I don't think so), the shade of lume doesn't match the ageing on the dial.. but I do like the hands style...We need to see the inside and caseback.......let's hear from the experts...

5. ConElPueblo May 11, 2018

I am pretty sure it is a redial. The white text on black background is always a warning sign, as is the inconsistent condition of the dial in relation to the case. The lume dots ought to be bigger too, as can be seen on the last one in this thread; the cut-outs in the markers should be filled completely. The hands are completely wrong too.

lando, Dan S, kosmar and 2 others like this.
  6. kosmar May 11, 2018

upload_2018-5-11_14-14-34.png
    upload_2018-5-11_14-14-18.png
    upload_2018-5-11_14-13-53.png

7. chipsotoole May 11, 2018

That all looks pretty good. I do however refer you to the comments from the right honourable mr Conelpueblo...he knows his onions (and Constellations for that matter). You're looking at an attractive watch, not completely original, with a most likely redialled/repainted, yet quite unusual dial..this watch won't have much value to a collector, but there are plenty folk out there in watchland who aren't. If you're looking to get into collecting I'd pass. If you want to wear a pretty watch and can stand the flaws.. ..well it's your wrist your watch. Don't let us pedants put you off. The deciding factor might boil down to price..is it a bargain? If this was going for cheap I'd be tempted (a bit).

ChrisN likes this.
  8. kosmar May 11, 2018

i agree with your assessment.
    the BIN price is 900€, so i consider this a pass now.
    happy to have asked here, as i was quite tempted since many days.

9. chipsotoole May 11, 2018

"pfwhoa!" is the sound of me spitting my beer out!! That's a lot of money and you could buy yourself a lot of watch for that!
    Why not look at the private watch sales here. You won't find a more honest bunch of sellers around (none would dare sell a lemon) and whilst many of the FS items aren't cheap, you will get what you pay for- namely a quality and usually well maintained watch.

felsby likes this.
  10. kosmar May 11, 2018

it kinda explains why it’s still available also

11. kosmar May 11, 2018

i surely will and did, but also noticed most sellers are in the US? which adds 19% customs VAT for me and possibly whatever tariffs trumpland forces upon us in the future :/

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 11, 2018

Movement is missing the adjuster screw on the regulator, never a good sign.

kosmar likes this.
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! May 12, 2018

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 12, 2018

15. kosmar May 12, 2018

Switzerland it is

16. kosmar May 14, 2018

just collecting another black example.

any thoughts?

upload_2018-5-14_14-7-44.png

no good mvmt pic, suspicously
    upload_2018-5-14_14-12-4.png