Seamaster 2255.80.00 - Authenticity & Service questions

Hello all,

Little bit of backstory: Being repulsed by the cupcake shaped helium escape valve of the modern SMP, I entered the waiting list for a Rolex Submariner a few months ago. Still having doubts about it, I started looking at older SMP's last week and came accross the 2255.80. It was love at first sight, nicely shaped He valve, excellent proportions, sword hands and that dial....

Couple of days ago I stumbled upon a nearly new old stock 2255.80 online, complete with original box and papers. It was like the universe read my mind and all the stars aligned, what are the odds. All the links seem to be there in the photos that I saw and the stickers too at the caseback and clasp. Couple of blurry photos I was sent below, please let me know if something seems off.

1.PNG IMG-f30a1ac7bbc0d679736ad26dc22fd36f-V.jpg

How accurate are the S/N decoders online? The S/N starts with 801 which tells me it was made in 2006, but the warranty card is dated (handwritten) 2001...

According to the warranty card, the original owner purchased it in in December 2001. I was told that he kept it in a safe and didn't wear it. Was also told that it has never been serviced, which is a bit weird since the watch came in a box which reads ''World Service Organization''. Perhaps it was sold in that...?

I am planning to use it for swimming/diving so I will have it pressure tested asap.

When it comes to servicing, any help would be appreciated:
- Omega UK or an independent watchmaker? Does anyone know a trustworthy independent watchmaker in the UK who could service this?
- Do I run it until it breaks and then send it to Omega or an independent watchmaker for an overhaul?
- Do I send it immediately for service to Omega/independent watchmaker since the oils would most likely have dried out completely?
- Are ETA 2892-A2 parts still readily available to Omega/independent watchmakers? If yes, I might be inclined to run it until it breaks. If not, which means that spare parts will be at a premium, then I would probably send it as soon as possible to avoid wearing down the existing parts.

Anything that I might have missed or need to pay attention to, please let me know 馃榾

PS: S/N in warranty card is handwritten and has an additional ''2'' which is not present on the caseback sticker S/N and the watch case S/N (they both match). I will say that whoever wrote it made a mistake and wrote ''222'' instead of ''22''. I hope I am right and there is nothing dodgy going on...?
Edited:

I used an independent to service my 2254.50 with out any problems.

Get it serviced for peace of mind. Lubricants are cheaper than parts.

Its a common movement so spares are going to be easy to find. I guess.

I could be persuaded to swap bracelets with you, if you like the worn in look better. Just let me know馃槈

As others have said, have it serviced by an independent who has a parts account. Should be easy for them. I would have it serviced just to clean off the old congealed oils and replace all the seals.

Trust the warranty date and not online serial number charts, which are a quest (and most are targeting Speedmasters). The watch is from 2001, not 2006. The box is what came with it new. That was the Omega logo on all boxes at the time.

Back in the day, cards came to the dealer blank and they had to fill in all the info, including serial number. Not uncommon for there to be an extra (or missing digit). Lots weren鈥檛 even filled it.

All looks good. It鈥檚 a nice find.

Does anyone know a good independent watchmaker for this movement in the UK?

Usual suspects came up from a Google search: watchguy, watchbloke etc. but just checking if there are any less known but better?

Re: authenticity-check, we鈥檇 need to see several less blurry pictures to offer any judgment there. It鈥檚 probably just an angle-of-view thing, but the date doesn鈥檛 seem well centered to me. Having more pics could easily put that concern to rest. If you ask for more pics and the seller says no or acts shady, that鈥檚 a sign to move on.

Hello all,

Was also told that it has never been serviced, which is a bit weird since the watch came in a box which reads ''World Service Organization''. Perhaps it was sold in that...?

The box is period correct. It is the same as my Seamaster 200 Omegamatic came in new in 1999.
IMG-1924.jpg IMG-1925.jpg IMG-1926.jpg